Read any good books lately?

1. americonium

americonium Well-Known Member

Of Mice and Men..........................Enjoyed
    River of Doubt..............................Enjoyed (Slow to start, but it get's pretty good when they hit the river)
    The Art of Racing In the Rain..........Thoroughly Enjoyed. Highly recommended.
    Alice in Wonderland.......................Enjoyed
    The Wizard of Oz..........................Enjoyed
    The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson...Enjoyed
    Tom Sawyer................................Enjoyed
    Huckleberry Finn...........................Enjoyed

Oh, and all free, either from my local library or from Project Gutenberg - free ebooks online download for iPad, Kindle, Nook, Android, iPhone, iPod Touch, Sony Reader

Free books, but must be out of copyright.

So, what have you read and where did you get it?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Clintro

Clintro Active Member

This is a great start at a free book thread :)
  3. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I wish I had a Nook when I was in high school. All the free books are the ones my school wanted us to read. It would have been sooo much easier...well not easier than reading the Cliff notes. :p
  4. ob1j3d1

ob1j3d1 Member

I also thoroughly enjoyed the art of racing in the rain. Although I read it before I had my NC - a regular ol paperback.
  5. americonium

americonium Well-Known Member

I just finished Treasure Island, and now I'm reading War of the Worlds. If you enjoyed The Art of Racing in the Rain, you might want to try Call of the Wild. It's also free.
  6. rogue_slc_vzw_rep

rogue_slc_vzw_rep Well-Known Member

This one isn't free but 'sh*t my dad' says is a fun read
  7. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Started Of Mice and Men. I'm about 20-25% through it and it is not gripping me at all. It's short enough though. I finished Meg and loved it. Am now reading the sequel The Trench. Basically a 60 foot long great white shark is loose and eating everyone. Hilarity ensues.
  8. ob1j3d1

ob1j3d1 Member

Call of the wild already downloaded, just need the time to read. Thanks for the recommendation.
    americonium likes this.
  9. niggle42

niggle42 New Member

10. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

11. rlunos

rlunos New Member

Just finished a 3 book series by Judson Roberts called the Strongbow Saga. He is an outstanding writer that puts you in the story line right away and keeps you there. The saga is about Viking life in the mid 800's
  12. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Hi americonium, as there's a literature forum that's created for this type of conversation, I've moved your thread there :)

Cheers,
    Roze
  13. amandasessions

amandasessions New Member

I have just read an incredible political thriller ebook. I was browsing around at amazon.com and found this ebook called The Cain Sanction, I read the preview and a few chapters. It really was a page turner can’t put it down kind of book.
    I didn’t know how it ends until the last sentence of the last page.. great read!!
  14. cgm12

cgm12 New Member

my all time favorite turhor is john fowles and i recommend checking out his books: daniel martin, the magus, the collector etc.
  15. LilacBleeds

LilacBleeds Well-Known Member

Of mice and men I studied at school for GCSE on the uk
    I have my own copy of it around somewhere :)

I am loving Their Newborn Gift by Nikki Logan
  16. 787323

787323 Well-Known Member

I like any zecharia sitchin books.and books on philosophy....Namely, "the anti-christ" by Nietzscheand "the world as will and representation" by schopenhauerAnd the classics i always enjoy reading again and againTao Te ching
  17. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen...This is the first book I've read since college ( graduated in 2000 ) as I hate reading books. I could not put it down. Dads & husbands I highly recommend it.

The Resolution for Men
  18. tjamzt

tjamzt Active Member

I am halfway through game of thrones. It is really good so far and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
  19. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Well-Known Member

I read all the time a few really good books I read lately are

Jonathan Maberry Joe Ledger Series

First Book in the Series
    Amazon.com: Patient Zero: A Joe Ledger Novel (9780312382858): Jonathan Maberry: Books

Z. A. Recht The Morningstar Strain Series (which was recently completed amazing zombie series highly recommended)

First Book in the Series (of 4)
    Amazon.com: Plague of the Dead: The Morningstar Saga (9781439176733): Z.A. Recht: Books

Eric Lowther Area 187 - Almost Hell

This was also a zombie book but was different it was pretty amazing and a good read
    Area 187 - Almost Hell: Eric Lowther: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Mark Tufo Zombie Fall Out Series

This was a series i stumbled on by accident. I was short cash and was looking for a cheap read when I found this book. At first I hated the writing style but by the end of the book I was hooked. He is now easily one of my favorite authors of all time.

Link to the first book
    Zombie Fallout: Mark Tufo: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Max Brooks World War Z

Easily one of the best Zombie books out there.
    World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War: Max Brooks: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
  20. Wilkas

Wilkas Well-Known Member

Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind, loved it and bought every other book in the series (11 of them!)

Love Wilbur Smiths Birds of Prey too, there is a follow up which is called Monsoon which is my favourite book.
    NightAngel79 likes this.
  21. C h r i s

C h r i s Member

Some stuff I've read recently:

The Hunger Games/Catching Fire/Mockingjay .. Really enjoyed this series
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo/Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest/Who Played with Fire .. Really enjoyed this series as well
    Divergent/Insurgent .. Pretty good
    The Maze Runner .. Read the first book and I enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading the other books

And I'm currently reading Game of Thrones. I'm really enjoying this book so far. I've watched the show before starting the book, but I found that I had a hard time remembering who was who and how everyone was connected.
  22. bplusshoe

bplusshoe Active Member

I've been reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson for the first time. About halfway through and is great!
  23. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Well-Known Member

Reading, "Surely, you're joking, Mr. Feynman" right now. Previous book, The Quantum Universe. Next book? Not sure yet. Got too many to read and keep picking up more almost on a weekly basis.
  24. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

You, uh, like zombies? ;)
  25. Wilkas

Wilkas Well-Known Member

Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson - Really enjoyed this, it's about the invention of true AI and how 15 mins into it's life it starts to wipe out humanity. Spielberg is making this into a movie, think it will transfer well.