Read-only USB storage without rooting is now possible!Tips

Last Updated: 2012-09-13 20:36:24
  1. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I added 'Read-only' to the title just to make it a bit more clear. :)
  3. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

ohh wow thats cool.. im going to order OTG cable and usb flash drive right now!
  4. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

Been playing with it a bit and it's working perfectly with my otg cable and various flash drives and sd cards. Movies and music both stream perfectly. Very impressed, well worth the money.
  5. Skyroket

it says that sandisk cruzer fit has average Read speed @ 16.5 MB/s is this enough for 3gb movie?

those are the specs of the movies that i usually watch

Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 3.27 GiB
    Duration : 1h 39mn
    Overall bit rate : 4 704 Kbps
    Writing application : mkvmerge v4.1.1 ('Bouncin' Back') built on Jul 3 2010 22:54:08
    Writing library : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 1h 39mn
    Bit rate : 4 064 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 688 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 1.860
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
  6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Yes, that's more than enough - I don't think HD video is actually that demanding.

That video has a bitrate of 4.7Mb/s. Bear in mind too that a megabyte (MB) is 8x bigger than a megabit (Mb), so you're using ~0.6MB/s out of 16.5MB/s.
  7. Skyroket

Thanks! Not a computer guy :D
  8. trankster

trankster Well-Known Member

This is why I subscribe to this Forum. Thank you!!
  9. stridermt2k

stridermt2k Well-Known Member

This is an awesome app, but it doesn't work with exFAT-formatted drives, or didn't for me anyway.
  10. Optimus Prune

Optimus Prune Well-Known Member

Hells yes! Thanks very much. This was my main motivation for considering rooting, but I really didn't want to go through the hassle. Works well, though not quite a full-fledged file explorer experience.

Just moved a bunch of pdf presentations from a conference I just attended onto the Nexus 7 for the plane ride home from the little usb stick on my keychain. Works well, though it took me a moment to figure out the bottom half of the screen is reserved as a preview area. At first I thought it didn't detect all of the files.
  11. val88

val88 Well-Known Member

Be aware that when you play a large file like HD movies from a thumb drive, your playback is going to stutter now and then as the device tries to keep up with the caching. You will want to copy the entire file onto your device and play it from the device. The file copy itself is pretty time consuming.
  12. CrackBaby

CrackBaby Well-Known Member

Wow, really cool. I wish this had been around earlier!

You said the file copy is time consuming. That may depend on the speed of the flash drive. Some, like Patriot, are very fast (no I don't own any stock or affiliated, I am just an impressed and happy customer!!!!)
  13. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I find that it depends on the movie. Very large movies (like 1080p) that have lots of data per frame and need to be scaled down to fit on the screen do indeed have some problems playing from my sdcard, but a typical highly compressed 720p movie seems to play just fine for me with no problems.
  14. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

Great news!

Edit:- What does everyone think is the best solution for portability using this app?
    I'd like to go with a micro SD card and a card reader with a micro USB plug but can't seem to find one. Am I just not looking hard enough? Are there any disadvantages to this vs the pen drive method?
  15. Duncs

Duncs Well-Known Member

Well i just went to the play store to download this but i get the message that my nexus 7 and my gnex are not supported, i have emailed the dev to get some help. Anyone else get this problem ??
  16. joesixpack

joesixpack Well-Known Member

Just went to the Play Store today and the app is GONE! Missed it by that much...
  17. damiencannell

damiencannell Active Member

No Longer in the Play store.........gutted as just what i have been waiting for :-(
  18. Markg

Markg Well-Known Member

Noooooo! I've contacted the dev, hopefully we'll be able to get it elsewhere.
  19. tony1208

tony1208 Member

Darn the one day i didn't check this forms earlier lol and I miss this cool app...I done a Google search and its non where to be found ..
  20. joesixpack

joesixpack Well-Known Member

I think I saw it in Appbrain. How does that site work, and has anyone tried it?
  21. slowhat

slowhat Well-Known Member

appbrain loads apps to your phone much like the Play store. saves a list per device on its site. you can choose a bunch of apps to install and it will sync with your device all at once.
  22. perfectstranger

perfectstranger Well-Known Member

But I think they still direct you to the Play store...no sideloading. I tried to get it through Appbrain and it just directs me to the store when I direct it to install. Hopefully I'm wrong!
  23. perfectstranger

perfectstranger Well-Known Member

Was on XDA looking around. This is from the dev:

I have a bit of a volume issue. I've gone from 10-> 20-> 50-> 100-> 600 downloads per day. I do not have the support structure (or time) for this many people with a product that is this immature. I'm taking the app down until I can get support under control. You should be able to continue to use the application if you have already purchased it.

and he posted at 10:52 this morning....

Version 2.0.3 REMOVES exFAT SUPPORT.

I've re-added the app with to the market with the disclaimer that I may not be able to support it due to current volume.

I believe there is a risk Microsoft could have started a legal battle I could not win. If I lose, you lose too. I believe I have a work-around that will avoid US Patent # US2009164539, but it's going to take some time to implement. I will attempt to add it back as a free plugin, which I will disclose the code for.

If anyone cannot wait, I will issue a refund if you send me your order #.