• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help read them all/ still a few questions

I have been reading all the threads on this forum before asking question that were asked many times before.
You people have told me some feature were removed from my phone by Verizon maybe not features but some setting. I bought this phone out right from Verizon no wanting to sign any contract with them, so don't I own the phone? I keep hearing about a unlocked phone is this a good thing is this something I can have. Will the setting return if it's unlocked? Is this something I can do myself?
Not being able to get a menu button has made me nuts. Will unlocking it get me at least the menu button back ?
Take it easy on me still pretty new to this smartphone thing.

I have been reading all the threads on this forum before asking question that were asked many times before.
You people have told me some feature were removed from my phone by Verizon maybe not features but some setting. I bought this phone out right from Verizon no wanting to sign any contract with them, so don't I own the phone? I keep hearing about a unlocked phone is this a good thing is this something I can have. Will the setting return if it's unlocked? Is this something I can do myself?
Not being able to get a menu button has made me nuts. Will unlocking it get me at least the menu button back ?
Take it easy on me still pretty new to this smartphone thing.
You do own the phone.

There's such a thing as carrier unlocking but typically we mean unlocking the bootloader so you can gain what we call root - the exact same thing as administrator access on your pc.

You can do that yourself.

With that you can change your system software, or install a replacement for your system (colloquially called a rom), made by knowledgeable developers who feel as you do. The second option is probably what you want.

Please scroll down (or up depending on your forum settings) from your thread title (outside this thread, one up) and look for the All Things Root forum if you're interested in this option.

Please ask questions before proceeding, it's important to understand the ins, outs, pros, and cons before acting.

Don't be shy about sharing your goals.

No one will be allowed to hassle you, we were all new at this ourselves at some point.

Rooting isn't a cure all and it's not for everyone.

But it's worth investigating for yourself.

Upvote 0
Personally, I prefer the witty and charming ditty known as... 35 Galaxy S5 models - know yours??? Particularly, item #1.6.

Basically, your problem with the Verizon model, SM-G900V, is that it is running a non stock Samsung firmware of Verizon's own making. This, coupled with the fact that it has a locked bootloader, does not lend itself to flashing any custom ROM's, (non Samsung firmware), or easily accepting, say, a T-Mobile (USA) firmware. Unlocking your handset only means that you could, in theory, use it on other, compatible, carriers. It does not unlock any features that Verizon, in their infinite wisdom, have removed, altered or butchered I'm afraid.

EDIT Ninja'd by EarlyMon!!! :(

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
My understanding of the locked Verizon bootloader is that it does not allow custom ROM's, i.e. CyangenMod, but can, with a bit of pfafffing around, accept TouchWiz ones.
I'm in the minority of not believing that CyanogenMod roms are the the best.

TouchWiz is excellent and there are a lot of TouchWiz roms that fix a lot of Verizon complaints there.

Those are custom as well.

Upvote 0
My understanding of the locked Verizon bootloader is that it does not allow custom ROM's, i.e. CyangenMod, but can, with a bit of pfafffing around, accept TouchWiz ones.

You are quite correct Ironass, my S5 which is box stock, will not accept any software except for the Verizon releases.

Meaning I can go backwards to 4.4.2 but I cannot install a T-Mobile ROM release.

However, if the phone is rooted (only for those who understand the risks) then Verizon's lock on it is gone and we are free to do what we want just like any other S5.

getting past Verizon's or AT&T's locked boot-loaders is the problem, once that is done, it is much easier to experiment with the phone's software.

I'm still wearing diapers though, I'm not brave enough to root the only phone I have to talk on. :p

Short of that, I have stopped the lolli-Verizon-flop upgrade on my phone.

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen UnLock, turns Data ON

Upvote 0
I'm in the minority of not believing that CyanogenMod roms are the the best.

Agreed. The last lot of CM-12 Nightly's have been stinkers for me and I'm back on stock Samsung TouchWiz.

TouchWiz is excellent and there are a lot of TouchWiz roms that fix a lot of Verizon complaints there.

For those willing to root and void their warranty there are some good fixes on non Verizon, TouchWiz firmware.

Those are custom as well.

They are TouchWiz based though, I believe.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
They are TouchWiz based though, I believe.
Absolutely.

There are many bits to make a running phone.

A rom refers to two parts - the /boot partition where the kernel lives and the /system partition whose name is self-explanatory.

Custom roms come in two categories, regardless of manufacturer -

1. Based on the stock distribution.

2. Based on CM, PA, AOKP, AOSP (all erroneously called AOSP) and other unique efforts like the OmniRom. (Although, a number of phones come with AOSP or CM as their out-of-the-box stock, it doesn't modify the rest of the cases, or the definitions.)

The second category must by design replace the /boot contents.

With the first category, that's completely optional and not necessary to be classified as custom.

As the kernel's primary function is to glue together hardware with /system functions, it's not necessary to include the /boot image, but most developers do to ensure /system compatibility.

There have been many examples throughout Android history where the /boot partition cannot be changed - but not performing a redundant overwrite of the /boot partition does not negate that the stock /boot and custom /system is still a custom rom.

"Installing custom roms" does not mean installing roms not intended for and tested on your device.

Trying to circumvent that is often the fastest way to convert a phone into a paperweight.

That said, stock custom roms can borrow heavily from other versions if the developer knows what they're doing.

One such example is the international-like TouchWiz rom specifically made for the Verizon variant of the S5 (and there may be several, I didn't study, I simply surveyed).

No phone gets every choice in the world of custom roms, not even the mighty Nexus.

Some get more choices than others but custom is still custom. For the Verizon S5 it simply means category 1 only. (Or a category 1 rom with an AOSP or CM look and feel.)

If you prefer a category 2 rom above all else, next time consider buying the Nexus. That's what it's for and it won't run TouchWiz.

Hope this clarifies. :D

Upvote 0
New this was right place to ask. I got some of it a little bit. thanks
The majority of the information you absolutely need about rooting right now is in my first post in this thread. ;)

Except for the part about unlocking your bootloader to root, but that's a minor detail mistake for your purposes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones