1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Read this to improve call sound quality!!!

1. nicelysedated

nicelysedated New Member

t's in the Programming menu. Use the Programming Menu at your own risk. There are options/settings in this menu that should not be manipulated. That's my disclaimer [​IMG]
    On your dialpad dial ##PROGRAMthen press SEND

The SPC password is 000000

Now you should be at the Programming Menu. From the list press "04 Vocode"

Now you can select 13k, EVRC (default option), or EVRC-B

After you select one, back out to your home screen and your phone will reset.

That's it.

Keep in mind, I don't really understand why EVRC-B isn't already the default option on this phone. There may be a good reason. There may not. Hopefully someone from Verizon or Motorola will chime-in and answer my original post.

Enhanced Variable Rate Codec - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enhanced Variable Rate Codec B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posted by SOOBS on Moto forum! thank him!

Advertisements
    :
    AZDroid likes this.
  2. DroidSloth

DroidSloth Well-Known Member

Tested this, worked great. I thought call quality was already pretty good, seemed possibly slightly better. My bro on the other end confirmed I sounded crystal clear with 8-10 people talking behind me in my office.

I was bummed that my phone had to be rebooted just short of 200 hours of uptime, but I'll get back there eventually, wanna see how long it will stay on without being a pain.

3. KirkS

KirkS New Member

I saw this hack on another board followed by lots of cases where it caused phones to totally stop working -- wouldn't boot, wouldn't reset, just died.

Tried to find that other board/post, but now I can't. Sorry.

4. schertz7

schertz7 New Member

hmmmm i think i'll wait for more reviews haha

5. s-one

s-one Well-Known Member

I did this and my sound quality sounds waaaaaaaaaaay better. Also found this info on the moto forum.

6. hingli168

hingli168 Active Member

Wow! The sound quality of "EVRC-B" is very noticeable.:D

7. mckeller

mckeller Active Member

Keep my eye on this one

8. mobile1

mobile1 Well-Known Member

I tried the change but I still sound crappy...

9. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

I'd be chicken to try this until at least after the 12/11 update. No telling how a setting change might conflict.

10. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

damn i wanna try this but i don't wanna brick my phone.

11. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Well guys, I'd say the best way to test this is to go to your local Verizon store and set their phone to EVRC-B. Come back in a week or two and see if that phone is still there. ;)

You may also want to put a small scrape on the phone so you can recognize whether or not the phone actually DID die and they replaced it with a new one.

12. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

The problem with that is, you'll leave one mark and when you come back there will be a 1000.

13. shadowdude777

Heh, alright, well then how about changing some really obscure setting nobody would know about?

Er... come to think of it... you could probably identify the phone just by going into ##PROGRAM again and checking if it's set to EVRC-B or not. :p

14. mobile1

mobile1 Well-Known Member

I flipped back and forth and was even at Verizon and showed the tech support staff how to do it and then did their phones and nobody bricked their phones.

15. shadowdude777

Yeah, but it's more a question of how it affects the phone in the long-run. Maybe it makes a certain chip run hotter and damages it? Or something like that... or the Crackberry forum users just didn't know what they were doing! ;)

16. knock

knock Member

This worked for me. Thanks, and thanks for the tip on getting under the Droid's hood.

17. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

ok i just tried it and have verified that calls do sound better. before on regular EVRC, i sounded low while on speakerphone on the other end and off speakerphone, the other caller sounded kinda robotic and choppy. with EVRC-B, speakerphone calls now sound louder and off non-speakerphone calls sound like they should on a phone.

now my question is, what are all the other options for?? i saw an option called "05 Data Rates" and in it my phone has the 153.6/9.6 selected. scrolling down the list i see that there's an option to select 153.6/153.6. looks like this is for up and down speeds and it seems like it would be faster if i selected this. faster for what? i don't know. i'm no expert at any of this stuff. does anyone know?

18. shadowdude777

We have no idea, basically.

The guy who wrote the FAQ says it applies to 1X only and may not work at all if Verizon's towers don't support those speeds.

19. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

OK, so which option should we be using for improved call clarity, or are we to experiment?

Also, i the first post, OP, your last sentence also links to the Enhanced Variable Rate Codec B wiki page....

Was that intentional?

20. johnlgalt

I chose EVRC-B. Let's see if I brick my phone :p

21. johnlgalt

But now the phone is acting very strangely. And I cannot get it back into program mode to change the setting back to EVRC. I do it just like before, but it just pauses for a second or two and then takes me back to hte home screen.

22. johnlgalt

Wow, that was a major trial on my part. I had to play around closing apps left and right, and finally I went into Advanced Task manager and killed both apps and processes - and all of a sudden I was at the SPC entry screen.

Needless to say I quickly changed the setting back to EVRC. I think I won't be playing with that setting again for a while.

23. n9zez

n9zez Well-Known Member

I have been experiencing the muffled issue as well. I have switched mine to B and will report back.

24. johnlgalt

*sigh* - I should really remember all of my Beta testing skills when it comes to this phone.

IOW - don't install 7 apps and change a setting and think it is the settings fault....

*egg on my face, there is.*

Gonna try it again one I figure out which app I installed is causing all my problems....

25. Boni2k

Boni2k Active Member

The SPC password seems to differ in Europe/Germany. 000000 does not work.