1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Reading Korean SMS

Last Updated:

1. DawnFX

DawnFX New Member This Topic's Starter

So I got my HTC Desire (Telus/Canada) a few days ago, and I am a complete noob when it comes to smartphones, this being my first one - but I learn very fast when it comes to these things.

Anyways - my issue is regarding reading incoming Korean SMS.
    I've already searched the market and installed Korean Input Keyboard which allowed me to write Korean.
    I've even gone to the point of installing the Korean UI through More Locale 2 to make my interface all Korean.

Anyways, the strange thing is - I can read/write Korean on my Android MSN (MSN Talk), but I cannot read incoming Korean SMS texts that may come from my friends, but on the flip-side, they can read what I'm sending them in Korean. None of my friends have the Desire (but they have android phones) so I'm left alone to search the net for a solution.

I don't want to "root" my phone - as I've found out that removes the warranty on the phone (kind of like jail-breaking I guess). I would if I've had the phone for a good 1.5~2years but since I got it only a few days ago, I'd like to avoid this.

Help?
    Thanks.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum.
    MOD can just move it if they wish.

Advertisement
  2. DawnFX

bump.
    anyone?

3. zilverz

zilverz New Member

I have the same issue.. did you find any solution?

4. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

You don't have the fonts installed as system fonts. As odd as it sounds, the system itself needs to have the fonts installed to display them properly in many cases. I had the same problem with some uncommon Chinese characters not displaying on a phone, but that was resolved with the next OTA update by HTC (which evidently updated the system fonts).

5. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

It seems to me that this is a general android problem? Not specific to the desire? (i could be mistaken)

Think i'm gonna move this thread to the applications section, see if anyone has any insights....

6. Blkhawkz

Blkhawkz Member

You may want to give StarTranslate try - as it lists korean as one of the languages it handles, so far for me its worked a treat

7. DawnFX

Sorry, I should have updated this ASAP.

So what I figured out was that back then, Telus signals weren't up to date with signals. They have updated/graded their transmissions/send/receiving back in 2010 October-ish so that Korean txt coming from other providers can be read and sent.

So it's all smooth flying from here.
    This is TELUS Provider in CANADA. So now I guess all providers in Canada can send/receive txts in Korean whether it'd be different providers or not.

NightAngel79 likes this.