Reading text files (eBooks) on Eris?General

Last Updated:

1. notaguru

notaguru Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Installed on Eris (2.1): Laputa, Aldiko, Tulip, Wordplayer
    On laptop: Mobipocket, Caliber, MSWord

There's a vast amount of material in MSWord format that I wish to read on my Eris. I can save a file as .txt and put it on my SD card using Astro, etc., but Quickoffice and Tulip are the only readers able to read those files - and both are otherwise inadequate.

I've never passed the Caliber IQ test. It seems to convert to epub, but none of those readers ever see the result.

Where can I find the help I need?

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

For your Word docs, open them in Word then save them as a .rtf file - Calibre can't convert a .doc file, but it can a .rtf. Once you've converted them to epub files move the epub to sdcode/ebooks/import. After that open Aldiko and select 'import' books from it's menu function. Aldiko ONLY imports from the ebooks/import directory (it tells you that on screen) which may be where you're having the problem. I use that method quite frequently with good results.

3. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

Also, you can download the pc version of stanza, open the file with stanza, then choose export as and then pick whatever format you want. I find that does a better job at converting than calibre does, but maybe thats because i convert PDF files to epubs. Try it out, its free.