• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reading this may save you from bricking your TouchPad!

D

Deleted User

In the for what it is worth department, I have become suspicious of constantly using the power button to wake up my TouchPads. I have switched to using the "home" button for that function and I'll tell you why. Have you ever forgotten whether your TP is turned off or just asleep. I can regularly duplicate the following: if my TP is turned off and I'm thinking it is asleep, if I tap the power button to wake it up and it does not, I then have to press and hold the power button for 15 to 20 seconds, instead of the normal 4 to 5 seconds, to get it to turn on. I don't like the fact of this happening, so now I use the "Home" button to wake up the TP. If I don't get any response, then obviously it's turned off and I can press the power button for the normal 4 to 5 seconds to turn it on.

My thinking is that the "tap" of the power button sends a momentary spike of voltage to those circuits that control the turning on of the TP and they don't like it. Who knows, this may even be part of the cause of the "bricking" syndrome that has been plaguing so many people. Long and the short of it, I'm not taking any chances at having an event that requires running the "Debricking" process or any other battery anomaly that others have been reporting. You might want to make this a habit yourself.

With any rom or any device, if I have the option of waking the device with the volume keys, I always enable that and use that to wake it. I use the power button if I need to turn off the screen or power it on for the first time.

I figure the power button is one of the most important buttons and I don't want to wear it out.

If the device has a home button (like the Touchpad), I often will use that to wake it, because (like you said), if it's off I might not necessarily want to power it on.

OTOH, if it bricks and your A6 chip gets flashed, you could enjoy some nice sleep battery use for awhile. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones