Reads "Damaged SD Card" but works on ComputerSupport

1. nikkiv22

nikkiv22 New Member

My phone keeps reading unexpected unmounting (or similar) when the SD card is in fact still mounted. So I unmount it and then reinsert it. Sometimes it reads the SD card but more often it reads "Damaged SD Card". I backed my files onto my comupter, the SD card reads fine on my computer. I tired mounting another SD card that also reads on my computer and my phone still reads "Damaged SD Card". Any takers on this one? I would hate to reformat the SD card since I have apps on it and I have no clue how to back up apps onto my computer.... plus it appears that ANY SD card I use is reading damaged. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Advertisement
  2. twistedgeminid

twistedgeminid Well-Known Member

My wife had the same problem. I just plugged sd card into the adapter then my laptop, reformatted using win7 and inserted back into her phone reformatted using the setting and haven't had that problem since. Hope this helps

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using Tapatalk 2
  3. Ralkkai

Ralkkai Well-Known Member

i'm willing to bet a reformat would fix it as well. as far as backing up your apps, just drag and drop everything into a folder on your desktop, then after the reformat and after you plug it back in and run it, drag your app data back across to the card and it should be fine.
  4. xaelith

xaelith Well-Known Member

If any SD card you use on the phone is coming up "Damaged", then it might be something with the card slot on the phone. Most likely scenario (and easiest to fix) is that the slot is just dirty. To fix this:

1. Turn off the phone and pull out the battery and SD card.
    2. Using a can of air, gently blow out the card slot.
    3. Wait at least10-15 minutes, then plug everything back in and turn on the phone.
    4. If it still reads the card as damaged, try steps 1-3 again, but wipe out the card slot with rubbing alcohol after the air and before waiting 10- 15 minutes. DO NOT drip or pour the alcohol into the phone as it may create a short somewhere in the phone. You'll want to dampen a cloth or cotton swab or something that's able to fit easily inside the card slot with the alcohol, and then wipe it out (I would suggest something, but nothing comes to mind at the moment).
    5. If after all that it still thinks the card is damaged, try what the others suggested and format the card after saving a copy of its contents to your computer. Once that's all done if it still doesn't wanna play nice, then it may be that the SD card slot on your phone is damaged.
  5. datahook

datahook New Member

Me too - damaged sd, bogus error, device or os error. This issue is all over the net, yet no fix. Makes me want to get a windows or iphone.
  6. mydian

mydian Well-Known Member

I would just like to add that if it's the card that came with the phone.. it's junk. Spend the $10 or so on a new one.
  7. chevanlol360

chevanlol360 Well-Known Member Developer

I just keep pushing it in and out until it works. Its a android error because you kight of took out the sdcard without umounting it first.
    xaelith likes this.
  8. mndgme

mndgme Well-Known Member

Happened to me as well, many times in the beginning. I would use the USB cord to transfer files but it would crawl on transfer speed. So I would unmount SD then take out use an adapter and transfer that way. When I'd put back it would sometimes say that. I put back on adapter and into PC and sometimes (only a few times) and it would have to check for errors.

Lately I haven't had any issues (knock on wood lol), and have been using the cable for transfers just fine and sometimes use the adapter and still works. Thought it had to be a bug or something cause I would just pop out and put in a couple times (if needed) and then the media scanner would work.

But running MegaTron latest A.T.M., and was using that ROM when I had issues as well. But I have since then re-flashed the ROM and partitioned the EXT4 partition, so not sure if it was just the re-flash or the card. I only have an 8gb class 4 micro SD as of now and all is well ATM.
  9. TBarone87

TBarone87 Member

Same thing with my ultra. I've been lucky lately though as it has worked fine. My ultra was submerged in my pool for about 10sec. I put it in rice for 2 full days and (knock on wood) it works great.
  10. mndgme

mndgme Well-Known Member

Weird you said that. Just the other day my phone fell out of my hoodie pocket and i didn't realize for like 20 min! Went to look outside (mind you, I live in the south east of Michigan and weather is all over the place), and found it in a ice puddle!! My battery was out and phone submerged in the ice puddle! (3500mAh double capacity, 30-40 hrs on a single charge!)

Took back to house and blew out as much water as possible (couldn't see a water damage sticker most, so it must be on board or something maybe IDK), and buried it in a bowl of white rice for about an hour (know it should be longer but I was already under the assumption the TU was dead and gone, dead and gone lol) Popped battery back in and it turned on (good sign for most) but made a call and both mic and speaker didn't recognize either incoming or outgoing sound. Pulled battery back out and put back in rice for a few hours, then took out and set it up about 3-4ft away from a space heater on low and woke up and CHA CHING! Worked! :p

So i have been lucky too lately, I have about 150 apps on my 2nd EXT4 partition and still havent touched my internal space! Thought my 8gb SD was gonna be messed up and it wasn't!

So for anyone that has ANY water damage to ANY device with a battery, PULL IT ASAP and use the RICE TRICK! Many friends of mine it has worked and not worked, but I am a believer now and already knew about the rice trick but NEVER had to use before.

Still rooted running MegaTron ROM and works well, anyone know where the water damage sticker would be? Doesn't matter much as I'll be buying a new phone soon anyway. :D
  11. niteNarmor

niteNarmor Well-Known Member Contributor

Had the same issue with my sdcard when my battery (health) was getting weak. Every five minutes the sdcard would unmount then post damaged sdcard. Finally battery (health) died completely. Received a new battery and have not had an issue since.