• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ready to punch my evo in the face. Please help!!!

First of all, let me start by saying, I am a technology idiot, so dumb it down for me, but PLEASE HELP.

I've been dealing with the "Phone Storage Space is Low" message in my status bar for a while and ignoring it.
Then it hit the point where it wouldn't let me do ANYTHING.
I cleared a bunch of caches and data, moved all the apps that are allowed to be on the sd card onto the card, deleted a ton of texts, even deleted apps I didn't want to.
There's not a lot of stuff in my phone at all... yet this message will not go away. It says I have 42 mb of internal storage left. The message goes away when you have 50 left. There's nothing left I can delete!

What am I doing wrong?

I've heard of apps2sd... what is this and how do I do it?
Or rooting?

First of all, let me start by saying, I am a technology idiot, so dumb it down for me, but PLEASE HELP.

I've been dealing with the "Phone Storage Space is Low" message in my status bar for a while and ignoring it.
Then it hit the point where it wouldn't let me do ANYTHING.
I cleared a bunch of caches and data, moved all the apps that are allowed to be on the sd card onto the card, deleted a ton of texts, even deleted apps I didn't want to.
There's not a lot of stuff in my phone at all... yet this message will not go away. It says I have 42 mb of internal storage left. The message goes away when you have 50 left. There's nothing left I can delete!

What am I doing wrong?

I've heard of apps2sd... what is this and how do I do it?
Or rooting?
welcome to the fourms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the issue is that the evo has a small amount of ram on the phone. not sure what htc was thinking when designing the phone. but there is the apps2sd that can be sort of helpful. when you go to settings/applications/manage apps and then move the apps to the sd card, you are using apps2sd. it moves the apps to the sd card, but it only moves part of the app to the card. the other part is still left on the phone. that is why you can't use any widgets attached to the app when it is moved to the card.

so what is taking up all of the ram then? well your phone as it is, has the dalvik cache which the phone uses to load any executable files that it needs there. and then there is cache where your temp files are stored. of course there is your apps and it's cache and not to mention its data as well. and finally there is the stock rom with sense 1.0. all of that needs to fit in the the phones internal memory. so you can see how fast your ram will disappear.

the only way to get around this is to be rooted. the custom roms that are out now are much smaller and faster then the stock rom. plus you can partition your card and use a2sd which is different then apps2sd. a2sd moves the entire app to your card. the only thing on your phone is a symbolic link that tells the phone where to find the app on your card. it saves a ton of ram by doing this. just to give you an idea i have 160 apps with still 250mb left!

the only thing is that you need a higher class card to do this, preferably a class 6 or higher. the higher class card is need especially if you use intensive apps like games and such. the reason is that since the apps are on the card the phone then needs to read and write on the card as the app runs. so if you have a slower card your apps will suffer.

anyways i hope that helps. if you really want to gain more ram and be able to get more apps then i would really recommend that you root your phone.

go here to root your phone:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/395962-guide-rooting-gingerbread-revolutionary.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones