• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ready to root your thunderbolt but adb confusing you?

Just to help more people out there. If you follow that video you won't be able to connect ADB to your Thunderbolt, cause the Thunderbolt is really new. You'll first need to install the ADB drivers for the Thunderbolt:
-----------------------------------------------
  1. Download and install - HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs

This installs the HTC Thunderbold ADB drivers (all you have to install is the pre-requisites)

2. Download and install the SDK according to this video (as linked above) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6K1XLmafPc&feature=player_embedded

This installs the Android SDK package and explains how to get the ADB portion running

If you don't do the first step above, your computer won't recognize your Thunderbolt as an ADB device.

Upvote 0
Doing it tonight. My little boy will be out with my wife so I can concentrate lol.

One last question. Thus is my first HTC phone. With MOTO you sbf a file without recovery. How do I flash the ruu without a recovery on the thunderbolt?

RUU's use the bootloader and not recovery. RUU's are much easier than sbf files from Moto obviously because it does not require RSDlite, RUU's can simply be flashed from the phone via the bootloader.

Upvote 0
Yeah, once you change the name of the first downgrade file it will flash automatically. After that file flashes you need to delete it off the card and then put the upgrade one on. Go slow, follow step by step, copy and paste the commands and did I say go slow? There have been zero bricks according to jcase as of now on IRC. Make sure you have IRC loaded and ready in case you have an urgent question. I'll be back here around 7:30 or so if you need any help.. PM me. I'll mostly be on xda and irc.

If you're going to do this, and I'm not by any means suggesting you do, don't panic no matter what happens. I've seen a few folks copying the files in the wrong order, md5 that doesn't match, adb disconnecting. That happened to me and I needed to reenable usb debugging and unplug and replug it in. Then adb found it again. Anyway, best of luck. I think you'll be just fine whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: digdug1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones