ready to root

Last Updated: 2011-02-18 12:40:17
  1. ducky1979

ducky1979 Well-Known Member

right im almost ready to take the plunge and root my desire, BUT! just want to ask a couple more questions,
    1) when i have rooted and picked a good 2.3 rom with sense (suggestions please!) will i then be able to get the push facebook notifications???
    2)is a 2.3 rom a good idea as some apps are still not compatable (juice defender being one)
    3)am i right in thinking that the app2sd just tells the software that a portion of the sd card is internal memory?

also can i please get some input from people like me who are a little worried about doing this, who have now done it and are happy and if you can tell me the main advantages of rooting, what benifits it has done for you.
    Thanks everyone!!! :(

Advertisement
  2. adz63

adz63 Well-Known Member

2.3 ROMS do not have sense
    u should be able to get push fb notifications anyway
    juice defender works fine on my 2.3 ROM
    so does every other app i have downloaded since putting ROM on apart from spare parts..
    apps2sd is exactly what it says (its capable of putting apps on sd instaead of internal memory

advantages of rooting having full control /access to your phone just like being administrator on pc/laptop
  3. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

FB push notifications don't work at all so don't expect them to (have NEVER seen them)
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I heard it was only for Chat?
  5. ducky1979

ducky1979 Well-Known Member

well according to the facebook app on the market place push notification is supposed to be available to all android 2.2+ handsets, so i was wondering if having root and a 2.3 or 2.2+ version of android made a difference?
  6. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

Yes there is a difference; root is much more better. T-mobile have recently recognised this and made chunks of code available to AOSP! :)
  7. SUroot

Ohhh. Is that why we get theme chooser? I like that app.
  8. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

I guess so, Cyanogen has more to say about it on the CyanogenMOD site, CM7RC, is now out so you can expect another GV update soon. I have never used it, I'm guessing it works?
  9. SUroot

yeah and its much better than flashing or metamorphing themes. Its so easy.
  10. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

Which app is that? Never heard of it
  11. SUroot

Its the t-moble theme manager (or theme chooser) as part of CM7 and GV by default.

Im not sure if it will install and run independantly of these roms tbh, although it is just an apk (or 2)