• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Ready to use eBooks - need advice

klouud

Jun 19, 2011
Hi guys,

I know this issue has been addressed plenty of times on this website, but I'd like to know what you guys are doing to manage and use eBooks on your custom built NookColors.

First of all: Nook Color Running Phirmod 7.1

I would like to use the B&N Nook app to read eBooks.
1. What format do the eBooks need to be?
2. Where do I need to copy eBooks from my computer to on the Nook?

If I can't manually transfer eBooks from my computer to the B&N Nook app, then what are the best apps that allow this - and what formats do I need to make them?

thanx

tim/klouud

CM7.1 user here. For public library books, I use the Overdrive app. I tried the Overdrive/Kindle option for a while, but the Kindle app didn't get along well with the status bar (partially or completely hid a line of text under the bar).

The overdrive app has annoyingly slow page turns when moving from one chapter to another (either direction), but other than that, it works well. Plus, you can download directly to the app. WAAAAY better than downloading to a computer with Adobe Digital Editions, then copying to the stock nook via USB cable.

If you're going to buy from BN, use the BN app. Likewise with Amazon and the Kindle app.

Your library may also support freading, and there is a freading app. I haven't tried it yet, so can't say anything about it.

Another app that you can try is Aldiko. It is supposed to be compatible with books purchased from BN and anything else that uses DRM-enabled PDF files. It also reads epub files.

Upvote 0
I pretty much concur with the above posts. To my knowledge the BN app only works with books purchased through Barnes and noble. Its not a very versatile app.

People rave about aldiko, but to be honest I wasn't very impressed by it.

My main reader is the kindle app. It can read a few different file types, but most importantly is that books in different formats can be reformatted into the default kindle reader format, making them compatible. I currently have over 3000 titles for kindle. Most of them had to be formatted to work, but it works like a charm.

I'm not in a position to explain in greater detail at the moment, so I will stop by in a little bit and give a better description.

Upvote 0
You can sideload epub documents for the NOOK app by storing them in /sdcard/Nook/MyDocuments, or a subdirectory below that level. I am syncing daily papers there using Dropsync, and they show up just fine in the NOOK reader app. They will appear under "My Files". Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to get them to appear in other sections (Books, Magazines or Newspapers).

One plus on the B&N app is that stuff shows up without having to import it. Nice for subscriptions and background sync. It's a decent reader, but nothing special.

I like Mantano Reader for epub & pdf documents. It allows an on-board dictionary, so you can look up words offline. The NOOK app and Aldiko only use online dictionaries, from what I can figure out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones