• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Real issue with power consumption, easily testable

I actually agree...my questions are all geared towards consumption, which I think is actually a very different question than the other threads about battery life, btw. And I get your argument, that the phone is high-powered, etc. But I don't understand, how come some people can get it to stay on (with many things turned on), and others can't (even with stuff turned off).

Given your argument about a high-powered device, I would think it would behave consistently, no one could have it stay on. Right?

I am just trying to understand the variance in behavior...that seems odd.

In terms of my argument, and the phone behaving inconsistently, i think a lot of people exaggerate when it comes to "their usage". A person saying they use it heavily might be 20 texts and 10 - five minute phone calls and an hour of browsing, where as me, i think heavy is 200 texts, 20 phone calls, bill paying, browsing, aol, camera, video camera, etc. So that is all relative. I don't think we can base the stability and consistency of "battery usage" because normal, moderate, and heavy usage are all personal opinions.

What I do know, is that if i take the phone off the charger at 10am, and I use it in what I think is normal (50 texts, 1 phone call, little browsing, and lots of playing with it (meaning flipping screens, changing home screens, changing scenes just to see how it looks), it wil last me 12 hours. But i need an extra boost because 9am-9p doesnt work for me, i need it to last till at least 1am because when I get home from work, that is when my GF chews my ear off and that's when i get a lot of texts coming in. So i am going to get the 2150 MAH when it comes out, because i like knowing that it will last me, even though i have a charger in car, work, and home, and to fix this issue, you simply can keep the phone on the charger when you're not using it. For example, i get to work at 10am, plug phone in around 2pm, and i'll have a full charger for when i leave at 5pm and it will last me way into 2am. If someone is stubborn and doesn't think they "shoudl have to" charge it, then they wont charge it and it will die sooner. I'm used to smart phones, and I'm used to the fact that you have to charge it during the day while at work or it wont get through the day. I walk around the desks here and everyone I know has either an iPhone charging or Droid charging, or other smart phones charging (most of the time they are plugged in).

Thats all the nonsense i have to say right now. :)

Upvote 0
@BetterMost: Yes, tried two chargers to verify.

@JuniorNA: I am not talking the variance of how much time people get when using the device. I agree, that is VERY subjective, what people call moderate or heavy or light use. So I am not even going down that path. I am literally talking about the simple variance that some people can run the device off the charger without a battery without even disabling all features, and others can not get the device to run without a battery, regardless of what they disable and turn down. That seems odd, and no one as offered an explanation that is reasonable. The only thing I can think of is a significant variation in the device hardware, which seems in-appropriate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones