real noob question in relation to slugs sticky

Last Updated:

1. adz63

adz63 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

ok im on 3 and as of yet there is no update to 2.1 so im on 1.5 ..

now this maybe the most stupid question ever but in the sticky slug posted it says coustom ROM'S and all of them are 2.1 does that mean i have to have 2.1 update to be able to use one of these ROM'S, if not what are your recommendations for a custom ROM ie what one from the list is best and why . what will they do/ what do they do , will it improve this already good phone and in which ways , also if i am able to put one onto the phone how do i do it i been searching but cant find the thread

thanks adz

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Nope, your phone can run any firmware. The 1.5/2.1/2.2 refers to the firmware of the custom ROM.

My recommendation vaires depending on what you want out of the ROM.

- Modaco 2.1 r5: Bassed on the official 2.1 and pretty much true to what you'd get from the official firmware.

- VillainROM 12: Based on the official 2.1 ROM but with lots of tweaks and improvements, such as the option to overclock. This is the best 2.1 ROM in my opinion.

- Fryod Vaillain 1.1.1: This is a 2.2 ROM, and so doesn't come with the normal HTC Sense interface; it looks like normal default android. But, it is the fastest of the three.

And this is the guide on how to do it :) (It's written for Telus users, but the process is the same for anyone).

Oh and by the way, don't try to install anything related to Sprint/CDMA on your phone; your phone is a GSM one and you could brick it by installing CDMA stuff on there.

3. adz63

i dont understand really all the technical stuff lol but that villainROM 12 would be ok on my phone ?

i will always ask when im installing stuff like this coz as you say about bricking ,

4. Xyro

Yep, VillainROM will work fine on your phone :)

5. adz63

lol i just read all what you have to do to install ROM . and i think i'll give it a miss seems like too much effort just to put something onto a phone ,

things are much easier to do on lg and se phones and iphone

that just looks like loads of time for something that i myself wont notice any improvments etc

6. Xyro

That may be, but then running custom firmware is much more than jailbreaking an iPhone.

Personally I feel I've gotten much more out of my phone since switching, but each to his own I guess :)

7. stoney73

stoney73 Well-Known Member

there is a vast difference between villain rom 12 and stock 1.5. almost immeasurable.

8. adz63

xyro i have decided to try put the villainROM 12 ON but have a quick question if you dont mind answering .

ok i understand how to do all the things in the install custom ROM thread , but just one thing where it says install instant root i take it i install that to the phone? and how do i install it to phone if so .... and does it need to do a kinda run process ?

thanks adz

9. Xyro

Well, it's not actually necessary to root your phone before switching. You only need to root if you intend to use titanium backup to save all your apps. (MyBackup Pro has a 30 day trial that does much the same thing if you don't want to bother rooting but would like to save your apps).

But if you do want to do it, you put the instantroot.apk on your sdcard and then find it with a file manager such as Astro or Linda. When you try to open the .apk using the file manager it will ask which program to open it with. Choose 'Package Manager' and it will install it for you. Then you have to run the program when it's installed I believe (I didn't bother doing it, but I think you do need to run it).

10. adz63

oh ok thanks im not really bothered about backing up my apps so i guess i can just put it on sd card and skip that part and skip titanium back up too

thanks for ya help btw

11. adz63

got to clicking backup recovery and it says backup failed could not run command ?????

help lol