• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Real Racing 2 on Android out now!

I'm not sure if they graphics are really scaled or not for Android vs. iOS for this particular game, but one thing to consider is actual screen size. Although it is easier to optimize games for iDevices becuase of a single hardware configuration which potentially allows apps to run and look better, the physical display size is something that should probably be considered when comparing graphics.

The resolution is the same 960x640 as many of the new Android devices, but on a smaller screen (3.5" vs. 4"-4.7"). The graphics on the larger screen will appear to be blockier when in reality the dimensions are the same coming from a software perpsective. An example of this would be the Nintendo DS vs. the DS XL. Aside from coming from Apple, my biggest complaint about the iPhone is the small screen.

It would be interesting to hear from developers to see what changes are actually made between the different versions they release for each OS though.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if they graphics are really scaled or not for Android vs. iOS for this particular game, but one thing to consider is actual screen size. Although it is easier to optimize games for iDevices becuase of a single hardware configuration which potentially allows apps to run and look better, the physical display size is something that should probably be considered when comparing graphics.

The resolution is the same 960x640 as many of the new Android devices, but on a smaller screen (3.5" vs. 4"-4.7"). The graphics on the larger screen will appear to be blockier when in reality the dimensions are the same coming from a software perpsective. An example of this would be the Nintendo DS vs. the DS XL. Aside from coming from Apple, my biggest complaint about the iPhone is the small screen.

It would be interesting to hear from developers to see what changes are actually made between the different versions they release for each OS though.

I agree with you for the most part, but I can tell you with 100% confidence that the game is not running anywhere near that resolution on android. Graphics appear much more blockier than I'm used on my device's screen

Upvote 0
Tried again last night using the link from the OP and it only took about 20 minutes to completely load. However, inside the market it doesn't show up as one of My Apps. Anybody know why?

Have you purchased the app?

If so it won't show up because of the way the application was purchased, install the locked version and go through the process of purchasing the application again.

Hopefully it won't charge you again, but from my experience it does.

Upvote 0

Actually, the qHD devices are 960x540 - so the overall DPI are even lower. As for the better graphics on the iOS version of RR2, don't forget that it took them many updates to get there.

EDIT: I'm also thinking that this game is optimized for 800x480 devices, and is scaled on anything with a higher resolution.

Upvote 0
Hey man, I have EVO 3D also but I dont know how to do that sideload thing you are talking about. Any info would be appreciated

I do not recommend you do this, as you can possibly get a malware version of the game. You can always try finding this game on an alternative market, like Amazon App Store or GetJar and see if it's available there.

Upvote 0
I do not recommend you do this, as you can possibly get a malware version of the game. You can always try finding this game on an alternative market, like Amazon App Store or GetJar and see if it's available there.

Thanks for the info, I checked Amazon but it wasnt there, I checked GetJar but it sent me to the Google Play's Real Racing 2 page...
Are there any other alternative markets available?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones