• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

real signed update.zip !

When VM first announced that they were pulling the update to fix the "bugs," I said that they were "rooting" the firmware of its good qualities, (eg, live wallpaper and wifi hotspot). That is what they did, VM took out the thigs that made FROYO great and to add insult to injury, they sealed up the "exploid" holes that z4 used to temp root it. VM must be planning to become a real cell service provider (Plan contracts) as ATT and Verizon are notorious for locking up the phones so that the customer has to pay for every function. What do we do as consumers? Get to hacking.

VM HAS TAKEN AWAY ROOTING CAPABILITIES THEREFORE: NO HOTSPOTTING, ROMS, LIVE WALLPAPER,ETC....THEY ALSO TOOK FREEWARE (WIFIHOTSPOT) OUT OF THE FROYO PROGRAMMING.

Froyo is a trap to get prepaid into a contract state, or, VM is trying to get us out of the intercept into another phone for $299 as they (VM) are talking about a new Android phone coming soon.

Upvote 0
:)

Please try the App from the below link for AppBrain (It is alternative to Android Market).

Virgin Mobile Live - Android app on AppBrain

I have not tried it. Could you please try and let us know whether it works.

Other location is Androidzoom (It is also an alternative to Android Market)

Virgin Mobile Live - Android

I could not find it in Amazon Android App Store.

Another way to get the file is to go to SDX-Developers website and post a request there:

Intercept - Questions 2.2

:)
like i said i have found the stock files but i removed the amazon app, the VM live, the Gmail app, and some other things that go in the phones :system/app folder i need instructions on getting them back on my phone so the update can find them and update them ive even reinstalled the gmail but its on the wrong location beacuse the update still gives me a "error 7" and then lists gmail.apk then a bunch of numbers

Upvote 0
Froyo is a trap to get prepaid into a contract state, or, VM is trying to get us out of the intercept into another phone for $299 as they (VM) are talking about a new Android phone coming soon.

Seriously? where do you even come up with this crap.

it's completely obvious why they took it out.. they ARE a no-contract company.. and it's a one time fee per 30 days. They don't charge you for extra data usage like other companies may do. It makes sense for them to remove the apps where people would be using a ton of more data.. 25bucks a month is nothing. If you really need hotspot and all the other stuff that uses a ton of more data then you should drop virgin mobile and get a contract based phone. What they do allow us to do already is pretty amazing for the price.

I'm sure someone will eventually hack it to allow the hotspot and other apps like this to work. but I wouldn't be surprised if VM cuts your service off or throttles your connection.

Upvote 0
Seriously? where do you even come up with this crap.

it's completely obvious why they took it out.. they ARE a no-contract company.. and it's a one time fee per 30 days. They don't charge you for extra data usage like other companies may do. It makes sense for them to remove the apps where people would be using a ton of more data.. 25bucks a month is nothing. If you really need hotspot and all the other stuff that uses a ton of more data then you should drop virgin mobile and get a contract based phone. What they do allow us to do already is pretty amazing for the price.

I'm sure someone will eventually hack it to allow the hotspot and other apps like this to work. but I wouldn't be surprised if VM cuts your service off or throttles your connection.

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner! Well said!

Upvote 0
after all is done as instructed.. my main gripe is still there..

why is downloaded applications still going to phone area instead of requesting for options of where i want application to go.. to phone or sd card? also .. the move to SD card button,,,is not active ...
any feed-back is greatly appreciated ...

THANK YOU

Actually, this is just the way Froyo works. All apps are automatically downloaded to the phone memory, THEN you can move them to the SD card later. The reason the "move to SD" button is inactive on any given app is that THAT APP doesn't support it. This is a functionality that developers have to ADD to the app. So, if the app can't be moved to the SD, it doesn't matter what phone you're using...

Upvote 0
The Good: Update Works
The Bad: No Flash, No Live Wallpapers
The Ugly: No Wifi/BlueTooth/Silence buttons when you pull down the status bar!

For me I don't care much about live wallpapers, but is this consistent that the buttons (above) won't work? If this is "stock" 2.2 upgrade, is this what is expected in the new upgrade.

(New Android person slightly confused).

Upvote 0
I updated with this method and it seems to have went through rather smoothly and without a hitch. The new UI is generally better and more responsive. Some app icons have changed, and the gmail app has been overhauled all together. I'm digging it so far though. O_O

Now my SMS apps wont work. Stock and Handcent refuse to open it seems. X_X

Upvote 0
so this may be a dumb question.

am i putting my phone at risk by manually updating it? i've only had the phone for 2 days and have hardly used it because i'm not activating until next weekend. i just don't want to break the phone.

update, used the instructions listed above and it worked great. too bad we still can't get live wallpapers, but the phone definitely works better.

thank you!

Upvote 0
Here are some good instructions I received from the other forum

Download zip file from site and save to my PC desktop - Windows Vista 64 bit
Rename file as update
This is a zip file for Windows so no need to add .zip at the end of the file name update

Connect phone to PC using USB
Mount
Copy update file from desktop to my sdcard (E drive) root folder

Turn off USB Storage

Safely remove hardware
Remove USB cable

Turn offf phone

Press volume down, Call and Call End/Power key...Release call and Call/End/Power key once you see Samsung logo...Keep Volume down key pressed

Recovery menu screen

Plug in USB cable (for power until entire update process completes)

Scroll to apply scard:update.zip using volume down key or just swiping gently on Optical Joystick key

Press Optical Joystick key to select

Symbol of open white box and arrow and android coming out

E:pATH: /data/update_success
E:update file is backed up: not updated
# MANUAL MODE #

-- Install from sdcard...

Yellow moving bar showing progress...

Finding update package

Opening update package

Verifying update package

Installing update
Verifying current system
Updating modem
Removing unneeded files
Patching system files

Yellow moving bar showing progress...

Patching boot image
Unpacking new files

and I missed few messages after this...It went too fast...Someone can add to this...

Reboot

Samsung Logo

Virgin Mobile Sound

Samsung Logo

Beautiful sideways Lock and Sound on/off...Time, Date, Charging percentage, Virgin Mobile...
Sound on/off - Scroll to left for sound off and scroll to left again for sound on
Slide lock left to right and voila

Unlock

More responsiveness all over...

Stock Browser is fast...

Oh man, I thought I had it but about half way through it says: "E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 7) Installation aborted" Waahh!

Upvote 0
Just signed up for an account to say that I did the update using the update.zip file provided, and it worked perfectly. Having some weird lag with shapewriter, but aside from that everything seems to be peachy.

will this updater .zip flash sprint's df27\dl05 to virgin mobile's ec07

Just checked on my phone, and yes it has the ec07 baseband.

Upvote 0
For me I don't care much about live wallpapers, but is this consistent that the buttons (above) won't work? If this is "stock" 2.2 upgrade, is this what is expected in the new upgrade.

(New Android person slightly confused).

There are no wifi, silence, or bluetooth buttons on the drawer. There is, however, a silence slider on the unlock screen now, so you can actually silence the phone without having to unlock it, then slide out the drawer.

I really don't like the wifi thing. It now takes 4 taps to turn wifi on or off from the home screen, where before it only took a slide and a single tap. Bleh.

Upvote 0
There are no wifi, silence, or bluetooth buttons on the drawer. There is, however, a silence slider on the unlock screen now, so you can actually silence the phone without having to unlock it, then slide out the drawer.

I really don't like the wifi thing. It now takes 4 taps to turn wifi on or off from the home screen, where before it only took a slide and a single tap. Bleh.

If you add the Power Control widget, there is a wifi toggle button on it...

Reactions: thespazman
Upvote 0
I temp root my VM Intercept with Z4root to mainly JUST use barnacle wifi.

I've deleted VM stock apps (Download and Live).

I got the update, attempted to install and failed with errors.

I did factory/cache reset/wipe, re-downloaded updated, and tried to reinstall. Failed again.

My question:

Should I go through all the trouble of downloading this update from the link posted on this thread along with the VM stock apps to update to 2.2?

I keep hearing about no WiFi and no flash which makes me wonder if I'll still be able to use Z4root along with barnacle (which is what I care about mainly)?

:thinking:

Advice? Please?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones