• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Real talk: I'm going to return my Evo

Status
Not open for further replies.
My evo has lasted much longer since I turned ON wifi. I don't have WiMax in my market, but the 3G was devouring my battery. Wifi on supercedes the 3G radio. Seriously I went from less than four hours until dead to this with wifi on the entire time:

2h3x26s.png

122f2ut.png

Upvote 0
Wow 2 hours! Even I got a lot more than that. And I treat my phone like a sprinter on a marathon race.

Yesterday, I had to change my batteries in the middle of the day, but like I said, I was playing with everything on the phone that day.

Today, I only listened to music for about 4-5 hours (on bluetooth). Watched about 30 minutes worth of TV, took 3 pictures and posted them on FB, received 2 calls, one about 10 minutes long and the other less than a minute, did some email. And I actually got home before I replaced my batteries. Without even trying, I did manage to last the whole work day before I replaced the batteries. :D

EDIT: I think the major difference between yesterday and today is that I installed Y5 battery saver app last night. :)

Upvote 0
Alright people, enough.

I don't want to start closing all these threads for no reason cause some may have real reasons. But we need to act civil to each other. Troll or not, sincere or not.

If anyone has issues with their EVO, Sprint service or the battery, please provide us with ample details. Which programs you are using, what you are doing, screenshots anything that might pinpoint what might be eating up the battery / uptime. Some have real reasons that the battery is not performing well while others are okay. We need to understand if this is an issue that can be resolve. By not providing the details, and jumping to "I'm going back to an iPhone" will just resort in having people think you are trolling.

TS out

Reactions: awayne
Upvote 0
So ANOTHER thread about the battery not lasting and your ditching the EVO because of that.... Really, can't we just combine these threads/posts into one? If your going to post about the battery life, post it with one of the other threads that have already been started and not fill it up the forum with the samething again and again.

I'm so tired of people that came from the Iphone that say they are going back to the Iphone..... Go for it and enjoy your Iphone. I'm sure you will get the new Iphone 4G.... I mean Iphone 4 and just love that even though it will prob have battery life problems since it is truely the first redone Iphone since the 1st gen that did have battery life problems.

Upvote 0
What premium are you referring to? Growing weary of this.

AT&T and sprint are 99$ all u can eat. 30$ for iPhone 10$ for evo.
Take the 20$ premium and go get 3 big mac meals ok?

The 4 g tests that I did in Atlanta are revealing. 3 g speed was quite good. And 1/2 time better than 4 g.

Remember 4 g is a marketing term big mac.

Why are you growing weary of people talking about at&t or iphone pricing? hmm. You are growing weary of it because you are a troll. Its pretty clear. You have taken the position of Apple defender on the EVO board and you are tired of people saying something about at&t or apple.

Thanks for outing yourself troll.
I knew if i let you talk long enough you would do it.

Stop being insecure about loving the iphone. Its weird. Love what you want. In fact you are better off if we dont all love your precious iphone. The reason you are getting a hi res screen and multitasking is because of Android. In fact i dont want you on the same network i am on. I dont need you slowing down my data connections. Before long we will be dropping calls as much as your at&t. No thanks.

Upvote 0
oh hey, ANOTHER one who didn't read the thread.

my family is on att. my iphone plan is cheaper than me on the evo.

my city is covered in 4g, and I have no problem getting it on my clear usb modem, however, my phone doesn't get it.

kthx

Maybe I have to remind you that this is the 1st PHONE in the US with 4G, once again, a new technology, and one again, not gonna work like 3G overnight. (phones and modems are in no way in the same category and should never be compared, different internals)

And if youre plan is cheaper on AT&T then why even switch? I like the new iphone, Id probrobly get it, id like a bigger screen but I'd make due, IF for the same price i pay now on sprint at T&T wouldnt get me a third of the minutes, and only 2gb of data (2 phones on family plan)

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
So most of the complainers joined in June and a bunch are going back to the iPhone. Meanwhile, I get 10th hour heavy use and 14 if I charge when driving for 20 mins a day. No, this thread doesn't seem suspicious at all.

oh, and GPS doesn't suck down battery unless an app is calling for it...turn off location services if you want.

Anyway, for legitimate inquirer, two things I found helped:
1) the Y5 app that auto turns off WiFi when you are not in a known WiFi spot nd turns it back on when you are.

2) charging the phone overnight with it off.

On a separate note, I'm considering joining a bunch of iPhone forums on June 24.

Reactions: misterzeno
Upvote 0
God I cant wait the new iPhone 4 comes out in a few weeks so these threads can stop. Then maybe us who like the phone and are not leaving sprint anytime soon can share tips about a phone we are very interested in. ....other than that this thread is EPIC. Mods should do like the ones on the pre forums did >>> Sticky ONE im leaving the evo because of <<< thread.

Reactions: LiquidLife
Upvote 0
That's weird. I'm posting from Evo now, and I've been surfing the web for the past hour. My battery is still in great shape.

The only problem I have with people complaining about the battery is that its probably the "new device syndrome". This is my 4th android phone. ALL of which had "terrible" battery life until the honeymoon phase is over. Just relax and give it time.

Just my opinion. :cool:

Upvote 0
Wow, 3 pages just because somebody wants to get rid of his Evo.

With that kind of horrible power drain, it's obviously not normal. Maybe one of the following could be an issue:
a.) one or more apps doing something really wrong
b.) terrible signal in the area
c.) defective phone

The OP says he likes the Evo but obviously not enough to look into it any further. That's ok. He's entitled to go back to an iPhone if he wants.

Upvote 0
I hate to say this but this part of the Android forum is off to a terrible start. So defensive about their evo that anyone making a complaint about it is a troll? And some of you guys think iPhone fans are bad? I like the evo too, but I can admit that it has its problem.
The battery life is a problem. Some can live with it ( or find ways to deal with ). Some think it is too much hassle to constantly have to think about whether or not my phone will last through the day.

Upvote 0
If you guys think the battery life is good on this phone, you are just outright looney. I leave 4G off almost 99% of the time unless I want to play videos or watch something, which is something I really never do anyway. I never have GPS on, never have bluetooth on, and I even turn off mobile data when it's just sitting there. The battery sucks, there is just no way around it. One thing the iphone does has going for it (or so they claim) is an amazing extended battery life. I just hope they come out w/ a great after market battery...I mean I need a battery w/ at least double the capacity of my current one.

Upvote 0
and what in the hell makes you think, anyone wants to carry around extra batteries, that battery on this phone is pretty pathetic, my phone didnt even last half the day and the only thing i do is surf the web while im at work, i have everything turned off too gps bluetooth wifi etc., my previous phones iphone 3gs and Droid Eris would atleast last the whole day with atleast surfing the web a little, this thing wont even last half the day while surfing the web, truly some bs, owell im thinking about taking this thing back and do a replacement and if i have the same problems with the replacement unfortuntely im gonna have to go with the iphone 4 and horrible At&t

Well see here is the thing its basic science. You have a phone with a BIG screen a FAST processor many many features that eat power the battery is going to drain quickly like a laptop computer, power consumption is a trade off for all the bells and whistles. Everyone today wants a handset to do everything but still want a handset that will be able to fit in a pocket or purse. In the real world its called compromise or trade off. The EVO lets you easily replace the battery with another and another thats the trade off for me. The IPhone has you needing an outlet all the time and thats a deal breaker for me.

Upvote 0
You guys are just glazing over the problem with bandaid fixes. The phone SHOULD be getting better battery life than it is.

I think the theory that some one mentioned about me having poor battery life due to weak signal is pretty astute, I hadn't thought of that. It makes sense, though.

As much as I LOVE the android OS, and how badly I wanted the EVO, I just can't get be running out of battery at 4-5pm. My wife had the same problem with her EVO and it sits idle 6-7 hours in a locker at her work each day (No phone policy). Unacceptable.

Meanwhile, I reactivated my 2 year old iPhone 3G which was sitting on a shelf since friday and it has 30% battery left. It wasn't off or charged, it was just sitting there with "no service" displayed if you woke it up. Bluetooth, Wifi, etc all enabled. I can count on the iPhone (and all my other past phones) to work throughout the day, yet friday, saturday, sunday, and today the EVO ran out of steam and fell short. I'd have kept it if i could make it home with more then 20% left, but i couldn't. :(

Upvote 0
You guys are just glazing over the problem with bandaid fixes. The phone SHOULD be getting better battery life than it is.

I think the theory that some one mentioned about me having poor battery life due to weak signal is pretty astute, I hadn't thought of that. It makes sense, though.

As much as I LOVE the android OS, and how badly I wanted the EVO, I just can't get be running out of battery at 4-5pm. My wife had the same problem with her EVO and it sits idle 6-7 hours in a locker at her work each day (No phone policy). Unacceptable.

Meanwhile, I reactivated my 2 year old iPhone 3G which was sitting on a shelf since friday and it has 30% battery left. It wasn't off or charged, it was just sitting there with "no service" displayed if you woke it up. Bluetooth, Wifi, etc all enabled. I can count on the iPhone (and all my other past phones) to work throughout the day, yet friday, saturday, sunday, and today the EVO ran out of steam and fell short. I'd have kept it if i could make it home with more then 20% left, but i couldn't. :(

Well when you have a full featured phone that's more powerful than laptops 3 years ago, what do you expect? Do you expect a laptop to last 12+ hours with a3g/gps/wifi on all day?

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Reactions: bernechad
Upvote 0
Well when you have a full featured phone that's more powerful than laptops 3 years ago, what do you expect? Do you expect a laptop to last 12+ hours with a3g/gps/wifi on all day?

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

EXACTLY!

My 1yr old laptop won't last 5 hrs unplugged, but here's a phone...that does everything my laptop does (except for dvdrw) AND MORE (calls, 4G, txts) and my phone will easily last twice as long.
My laptop doesn't have wimax or gps or bluetooth on it, but it can't last the day without charging it?

Fine, looks like I'm going back to pencil and paper. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

You can't be botherd to carry a spare battery around with you either? I bought 2 cheapies ($11 total with charger) on ebay and they've been just as good as the OEM. I toss one in my work bag and change it out when I need to. On a day of heaving usage (4g, gps, pandora, heavy browsing/youtube), I get about about 7-8 hours out of the phone, and since I usally get a chance during the day at some point to charge it (like most folks), I often times don't even need to toss in the spare battery to get me through the day. I just do not see the problem.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones