• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Real Time Prompting for all Permissions

james899

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
I would love to have an app which can prompt me to allow or block every single permission an app makes.

In Permissions Denied I can explore the permissions of an app and deactivate them (or deactivate a permission globally) but it can't prompt me in real time; you have to decide everything in advance (yes or no), it's very time consuming and requires a reboot. There is also Pdroid but it's a nightmare to install (often involves patching and compiling) and still doesn't prompt for or include all permissions (afaics). I need something like lbe privacy which does prompt for permissions, but only for a small percentage of them (mainly contacts/phone/sms). Without this, it seems like the whole permission idea itself is a waste.

Is it technically possible to create an app like this?

NO. This would require integration into every single app to have things disabled or enabled by something akin to a preferences page. the main problem besides this one is, most apps fail to function when key things that require permissions are turned off, such as skype needing internet access.

the permissions idea is to prevent apps from accessing aspects of your device they don't need to. if you download a simple game like angry birds and it wants to have permission to send text messages, why does it really need that ? advertising to your friends maybe.. another example would be a game that wanted permission to call phone numbers directly, if the permission system wasn't in place you wouldn't know the game you just downloaded could call your friends at night and send them a pre-recorded message about buying a type of pill that really helps when you need it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones