• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Really Confused, Device is Dead

Digital Controller

The Real Bass Creator
Sep 5, 2012
So I haven't used my N7 2012 in awhile, but I recently wanted to upgrade to 4.4.

So I assumed I needed to upgrade to the firmware of 4.4 then re-root.

Well something happened between trying to flash that firmware via Wugg's Root Toolkit.

Seems to me that all I have left on my device is the bootloader. I cannot boot into recovery and my device will not be recognized by fastboot.

I really don't know where to go from here.

Anything would help :)

Hey DC :eek:!

So what (if anything?) did you see on the screen?

Not sure I have any helpful info, but wanted to ask...

Also, if the device had been unused for a while, are you sure you had a good, full charge on it? (you might need a good, long "soak" charge (24 hours) to make sure it has the ability to come back to life).

Sometimes it can take 36hrs one 24hrs and 10-12 hours . i had that happen to me forgot to charge for a minute then I forgot it was charging fell asleep after work when I woke up and was shocked to see it powered on while it was plugged in .

Upvote 0
Hey DC :eek:!

So what (if anything?) did you see on the screen?

Not sure I have any helpful info, but wanted to ask...

Also, if the device had been unused for a while, are you sure you had a good, full charge on it? (you might need a good, long "soak" charge (24 hours) to make sure it has the ability to come back to life).

When it boots up I see 'Google' across the screen then a start button appears in the top right. If I try and do anything but 'Restart Bootloader' it doesn't work. If I do the restart bootloader it takes me to a familiar screen where the Android is on his side and it tells me the state of my device being unlocked and such.

Sometimes it can take 36hrs one 24hrs and 10-12 hours . i had that happen to me forgot to charge for a minute then I forgot it was charging fell asleep after work when I woke up and was shocked to see it powered on while it was plugged in .

Yeah I have already learned this as it has happened to me before, I kind of thought it was dead when this first happened, but I believe Bread told me that it would take like 2-3 days to bring it back to life.

You may need to hold the power button for 2-3 minutes as well once you do get some juice to it. Also, are you using the latest WUGS?

I am using the latest Wuggs, I just can't get the device to be recognized by fastboot.

Upvote 0
I Dont know about wuggs but it may work it you leave the tablet on and let it die on its own . that sort of sounds like the android al one touch device the screen mess up go black you can't reset or clear data the only method is to let device die from last battery charge and when it die soon as you charge full the device is just like you left it sounds dumb and crazy but it works . I had to get rid of that thing . had me thinking I had ghost or someone was living inside the device . but let it drain dead and recharge again and try it

Upvote 0
^^^ Yep!

Maybe there's an issue with USB cable, port, connection, etc., that is the culprit preventing fastboot from seeing your device...:dontknow:

Try from another device, using a different cable, etc.?

I use the same cable with my Note 3...and that works fine with Odin, transferring files, etc.

Maybe I will try a different port :(, I don't know I am at a loss right now. I won't be able to tinker with it until Saturday.

Upvote 0
Okay so update guys. I tried a bunch of different cords, finally one worked. Thought to myself, yes this nightmare is over....but let's not take a sigh of relief yet...because it continues.

Two pictures below, the first is of Wuggs running the Flash stock. My device reboots like it should at the beginning, but never does like it should at the end of the process. Plus my bootloader never updates to the latest version like the command prompt says it does.

RSAZrRo.png

The second picture is after I try to reboot. The message in the top left just says "Boot Failed" :thinking:. Never had this happen before.

jxeUqyv.jpg

Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
After reading it again do I need to install a different version of firmware since the bootloader is apparently out of date?

Sounds like it...what version is Wug's flashing?

The latest factory image appears to be "4.4.4 (KTU84P)" and bootloader file says its "bootloader-grouper-4.23.img".

You saw/noticed the on the first screenshot you posted:

writing 'bootloader'...
FAILED (remote: (InvalidState))
:
:
checking version-bootloader...
FAILED
:
:
Device version-bootloader is '4.13'.
Update requires '4.23'.

Upvote 0
If appears as though the bootloader didn't flash successfully, which is why it wasn't at the proper version for the zip file. Are you using a usb 1.0 or 3.0 port?

The other thing you can do is extract all the partitions and try to manually flash them, though I wonder if you'd run into the same issue?

That's what I was trying to do actually.

Sounds like it...what version is Wug's flashing?

The latest factory image appears to be "4.4.4 (KTU84P)" and bootloader file says its "bootloader-grouper-4.23.img".

You saw/noticed the on the first screenshot you posted:

It was trying to flash 4.23 but kept failing.

I actually remember running into this in the past. The 4.23 bootloader contained in the factory image is bad and Google never fixed it. I recall having to flash 4.3 (The first one that came out), and take the otas in order to get the 4.23 bootloader.

I actually just found this out myself. Took someone's bootloader from XDA and flashed it...said it worked and it shows up on the bootloader page as 4.23

Going to try this again with updated bootloader, hope for the best. :)

Upvote 0
Alright guys, so I flashed the factory image of 4.4.4 over to the device and it worked! :D:D

It was really strange though because yesterday when I tried to tinker with it before the concert I went to I turned the device completely off with 80% battery.

Well I turned it on today, messed with it for about 30minutes, now I got it to boot up, and it died on me so I had to plug it in and the battery is completely drained.

Oh well at least my device is working. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones