Really Messed up HTC Incredible- Please HelpSupport

Last Updated:

1. cri5017

cri5017 Member This Topic's Starter

Alright here's the situation. I'm gonna include everything I know about it so hopefully someone out there brighter than I am can give me a hand haha. I rooted my incredible the night the unrevoked 3 came out. It rooted fine and everything was cool... EXCEPT i tried to install the hotspot app and it didnt work no matter what i did with it. Also, when i booted the phone up, sometimes it would go into a loop between the "HTC quietly brilliant" and "verizon" screen. so i just lived with it, hoping that my long-awaited froyo OTA would solve the problem. I first tried installing it by flashing the version that was put out over the internet (the official file that verizon sent out OTA) cuz i was tired of waiting for things to work. it failed epically. force closes on everything. So i read around for awhile and came to the conclusion that Clockworkmod probably messed up my recovery. I reinstalled the recovery and finally got the 2.2 to flash. Now, however, I have 2.2 and the hotspot still doesnt work, I still have superuser, which i thought would be gone when i installed froyo. The loop that happened at the boot still happens, and i cant flash ANYTHING in recovery at all. In fact clockworkmod recovery doesnt even start up. I cant send or recieve MMS and this phone not working is really starting to bug me. Ive done all i could to fix it myself but im finally posting on this site after reading dozens of posts trying to figure out whats going on. Thank you so much in advance if you have even a theory about whats going on

Advertisement
  2. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

3. cri5017

Thanks but I've tried downgrading through bootloader before and it always fails and says wrong image or can't find image or something like that. So idk. That is the most obvious thing to try tho you're right. Thanks a lot

4. cri5017

Wow that link included a very important piece of info that the rest of the things I looked at left out. My card is FAT not FAT32. formatting now and trying again. Fingers crossed haha

5. GrandMasterB

Keep us updated please. Also have you considered RUU back to stock from a PC?

cri5017 likes this.
  6. cri5017

I would love to use an RUU to do this process because my lack of an operating clockworkmod recovery could make the downgrading process a pain. I haven't seen any 2.1 RUUs for the Incredible though... lots for the Hero but...

7. cri5017

Just found one nevermind. I'll give it a try then for sure

8. GrandMasterB

I have used a few on my Incredible and its so much easier than dealing with all the manual pushing junk. Let us know how it goes :)

cri5017 likes this.
  9. cri5017

alright it worked really well. My phone is now running stock 2.1 and the original radio, superuser and everything is gone, etc. But now the problem is that I can't flash the update.zip for froyo. It comes up with an error while recovery is trying to flash it. I have no clue why it wouldn't work, since everything is stock now.

"
    -- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    assert failed: file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon/inc/inc/inc:2.1-update1/ERE27/161494:user/release-keys: ||
    file_getprop("/system/build.prop", "ro.build.fingerprint") == "verizon_wwe/inc/inc/inc:2.2/FRF91/231334:user/release-keys"
    E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.
    "

Its pretty frustrating but at least i have a fully operational device now. Kudos if you know how to get that update.zip to go correctly tho haha im completely stumped

10. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

11. cri5017

Alright i got my phone to the right software number (1.22.605.2) by installing the update that the xda site said to install. 2 problems tho. the annoying startup loop that i mentioned in my first post is back, so that must have been a result of the update. Also, I went to install my froyo update.zip, and recovery gave me the following error message:
    "
    -- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    Installing update...
    Verifying current system...
    assert failed: apply_patch_space(29939054)
    E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted.
    E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblkOp2 (or /dev/block/mmcb1k1)
    (Device or resource busy)
    "
    Thanks a ton for helping me out guys. I know im a nub but I'm really trying my hardest to get this thing going.

12. iowabowtech

It's not specifying it, but the lingo suggests an SD mount issue IMO. This one is being a serious PIA. Only thing I know to try at this point is to try the update.zip on an altogether new card that's been formatted to FAT32. I know you already did that to the current card, but it's all I got.

Hopefully GMB has a better idea.

GrandMasterB and cri5017 like this.
  13. cri5017

thanks a lot man. your help is really appreciated. I'll see what GMB has to say and go from there i guess

14. GrandMasterB

Sorry man, I am out of ideas here. I never applied the froyo.zip sooooo I am not sure why it isn't working. I used the leaked 2.2 RUU and from there I have just skipped from ROM to ROM.

If all you looking for is 2.2 without root etc I have posted a link to the RUU below. What is you goal? 2.2 root with s-off? Flashing crazy 2.2 ROMS? 2.2 complete stock?

[RUU_Incredible_C_Froyo_VERIZON_WWE_3.21.605.1_Radi o_2.15.00.07.28] - xda-developers

cri5017 likes this.
  15. mauiblue

mauiblue Well-Known Member

Almost was tempted to root as I was getting impatient about getting the official OTA update. I also liked the positive aspects of rooting my phone (removing OEM apps, overclocking, modding, etc). But the one thing that held me back was that there is a possiblity that I could brick my phone. That would be frustrating to say the least. So I held out for the update. Stock is good. Well, at least for me.

I hope the OP gets things fixed ASAP. Good luck.

cri5017 likes this.
  16. cri5017

Alright everything is good to go. Running stock 2.2 flawlessly now! The RUU failed when I tried it this morning, but then the official OTA notification came up a little later and it finally installed froyo successfully. Idk maybe Verizons OTA system doesn't use the SD card or something? Anyways its working fine now and 100 percent because of you guys. Thanks so much!

And yeah mauiblue rooting is awesome but only if you're completely confident that you won't screw anything up haha Im not sure if ill do it again

17. iowabowtech

Was kinda hoping you might get the prompt since you were back to stock config. All is well that ends well lol. If you do root again once unrevoked releases the 2.2 root tool, its a single click this time. Plus your software and radio are already up to date for all the latest roms so no more downgrading BS. Glad it worked out.

18. mauiblue

mauiblue Well-Known Member

Good to hear all is well. By all means, if/when you get the confidence to root your phone again, go for it. But just remember there is always that possiblity of ???