• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Really need some help choosing a phone...

paddo

Lurker
Dec 3, 2011
I didn't really want to do this, but I don't think I have much choice. I've been trying to research this myself, but I end up getting more and more confused. Here is my situation:

-Overseas (NZ to be specific), so NOT looking at going on Verizon plan or anything like that
-First smartphone, would like something I would get a little futureproof with (if possible)
-For the above reason, probably looking at decent camera (good 8mp) and decent battery life (will get through a day sufficiently with moderate-heavy usage)
-Because I'm overseas, do I need to get one already unlocked? I have heard you can unlock any phone regardless, but if this is possible, will I still have the 'crapware' that is put on these phones if I unlock myself?
-Only have small hands :mad:, so I don't really want the 'big boys' so to speak. I could use a 4.3" screen, but to give you an example, my thumb could not reach the bottom and top of the Galaxy S2 screen without shifting the phone in my hand. Rather like the feel of the Sensation compared to it.

In New Zealand we don't have many of the phones that you guys have access to but I have been to a parallel import store to hold the S2 and Sensation etc.

I have been looking currently at the Motorola Photon 4G and the DINC2 (or INCS as it is known overseas) but through sheer desperation, I would like advice on these models and how you think they would fare in fitting my criteria or other models if they are better.

Sorry for the wall of text but if anyone can help me, then I thank them very much indeed.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones