Really thought I had bricked

Last Updated:

1. Chasingamy

Chasingamy Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, got a car trip coming up so I thought I'd load some movies. Converted DVD to mp4, and put on my card. Droid immediately become just about dead, taking five minutes to do anything (literally), battery pull didn't help. Even failed to boot once. Finally got it booted and responsive and pulled the movies off, which solved it.

My question is... WTF?! Why did this happen? I'd really like to watch movies on my Droid? Any solutions out there?

Advertisement
  2. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

You know, that's not anywhere near bricked. "Bricked" means you can't boot up at all.

I'm guessing that there's something wrong with your conversion that messed up the encoding. Or else the kernel you're using is broken--are you rooted and running a custom ROM?

3. sorceror

sorceror Well-Known Member

I suspect that it's something to do with the format of the movies. When a new movie is found on the SD card, it's processed and a thumbnail is generated (for displaying in the Gallery, etc.). My theory is that something about the movie was messing up that process, getting it stuck in a loop and consuming a bunch of CPU.

Try converting just a small part of a movie at first, and experiment with different settings to see what will work...

4. gnath9

gnath9 Well-Known Member

If you could Brick a Droid .... I would have done it by now :)