Really trivial, really irritating - Google textbox bug on 2.1?

Last Updated:

1. teacupcakes

teacupcakes Member This Topic's Starter

Hello! Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue - it's probably the most trivial bug I've encountered on the 2.1 update so far, and yet it is driving me more insane than anything else (even the fact that my facebook contacts just. will. not. sync).

When I'm using Google in-browser (as opposed to hitting the search button, for instance if I just want to alter a bit of a search I've just made rather than retyping the whole thing out) sometimes, as expected, the text box is highlighted, the flashing cursor appears, and I can edit whatever's already there and search.

More often than not, tapping on the search box causes the entire screen to zoom by about 4x, as though I've pinch-zoomed or double-tapped rather than just pressing once on the search box as I've always done.

This is driving me inexplicably insane.

Am I the only one who's picky enough to be bothered about this/is it just me?

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I'm not running the official 2.1 ROM, or even 2.1 for that matter, but when I tried this out in 2.2 mine seemed to work ok.

When I click on a text box it zooms in for me too. But it only happens when I'm zoomed out so far I wouldn't be able to see what I was typing.

Is yours zooming in to a ridiculous degree or something? Also, which browser are you using?

3. teacupcakes

I'm using the browser that comes pre-installed. Am wondering if I should switch.

It's zooming in no matter how big or small the text was before, and not actually letting me type in it. I have to refresh the page or just use the search button once this has happened.

4. Xyro

Very strange. Definitely sounds like a bug then.

There are lots of different alternative browsers, which shouldn't act the same way. e.g. XScope, Dolphin/Dolphin HD, Steel, Opera Mini and Skyfire, to name a few :p

5. teacupcakes

Any recommendations? Too much chooooice! Thank you for the list though :)

I am a little bit resentful that I have to download yet another app to make up for something the phone simply will not do of its own accord, but meh.

6. Xyro

Ok well, here's a mini summary of each:

Skyfire: Still a beta program, but allows you to watch flash videos on a lot of websites. Haven't used it much my self.

Opera Mini: All of your browsing goes via Opera's servers, where websites are compressed in size for the phone. The upside of this is, it's very fast, but it does get confused sometimes when a page tries to redirect the browser. Plus, all of your data goes via a 3rd party. I use this for browsing these forums on my phone, due to the speed.

The other four a more conventional browsers, more like the stock android one. XScope is my day to day browser of choice, but there isn't a great difference between them all. (Except Dolphin HD has the option for plugins, like firefox on the PC. I've never tried them though).

teacupcakes likes this.
  7. teacupcakes

Awesome. I'll have a play with Dolphin and Opera first I think.

Thank you!

8. missdipsy

missdipsy New Member

I have the exact same problem too, and it's REALLY irritating. I don't really want to have to install a new browser just to solve this one little (but very annoying problem), although if someone can convince me that one of the other browsers is significantly better than the default one in other ways then I might be persuaded!

I haven't been able to find much on the interwebs about this "bug" so I can't work out if it's something unique to my setup (and teacupcakes', by the sound of things) or just something that doesn't bother other people as much as it bothers us. I can't tell whether this is a bug, or a very poorly thought through "feature".

I can understand having a feature that zooms in on textboxes when the text is really tiny, but this happens all the time, when the text is a perfectly readable size. It's really stupid, and there doesn't appear to be any way to stop it apart from installing another browser, which is ridiculous.

9. kaffann

kaffann Member

Same problem here. I have gone back to Dolphin. Opera is ok but for the multitouch zoom lol and it often takes me to SCandinavian language pages instead of English ones.