1. nickstanley

nickstanley Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Car mount without charger-$40
    Car charger $30

Are you serious? Anyon know any alternative mounts for the X? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

I ordered both and got a screen covers for I think 35 bucks. It was a package deal on the Vzw ebsite. They may still have the deal do a search on their website.

3. nickstanley

It's $50...

Why would they not include the charger like they did with the Droid

4. abugarcias

abugarcias Member

5. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

So that they can maximize profit :D

Seriously, the home dock is completely overrated, especially considering you can install an app that allows you to access the feature anyways.

6. AFAngryWarrior

AFAngryWarrior Well-Known Member

I dont think its "over rated".. I love the home dock. I have one at home and one on my desk at work. Its just very convenient. I haven't found a dock like it that charges it and keeps it in landscape mode. I like to watch JetFlicks TV on my lunchbreak or a movie of my SD card and this dock keeps it in the perfect position. I dont even care what it brings up when you put it in the dock, I just like the docks setup.

7. esn

esn Well-Known Member

Verizon is getting a little out of hand with their pricing anymore. With what they charge for service and devices accessories should be cheaper. I have been with verizon for over 15 years and I am seriously thinking of changing carriers before my return period for the X is up, I love my X but verizons monthly bill ia starting to piss me off when I have friends that almost thirty precent less than I do.

8. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

I loved the home dock for my original droid, but of course VZW's bundle included the car dock, home dock, car charger, and home charger for about $45. I'm gonna make my own home dock this time and place a magnet in it so I don't have to launch the app every time.

9. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Trust me, there are cheaper stands out there that can position the X the same if not better than the cradle. The major feature of the cradle is the ability to charge and stream media via the HDMI output...but to me, that's not even worth $50.

To each his own I guess.

10. Gareee

Gareee Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. for $45, that seems like a decent deal. I might have to see if our store has any bundles in stock.

11. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

I often wonder about the lower prices that friends of mine are getting with other carriers. But then when I drive through the midwest and other places that are sparse, I am amazed at Verizon's coverage. So, I just look at it as the fee to be with the best carrier. I honestly feel they put more money back into their network than the other carriers.

Plus, I just found out I get 20% off through my employer :woot:

12. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member

The car dock is worth it, I have no need for the home dock

13. nickstanley

I just bought a car charger for $4 on Amazon so I guess I will just go buy the car dock for $40. Thanks for all the advice...

14. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

I bought a car charger at Dollar General for $4. Contemplating getting the genuine car dock. The cell phone holder I have doesn't really fit this phone all that well. $40 for just a hunk of plastic is kind of a ripoff though.

At least manufacturers have standardized on the micro USB, so you won't have to buy any more chargers for future phones unless they burn out.

15. ad720

ad720 Well-Known Member

16. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Well-Known Member

car dock is worth it since now you can have a dash cam because the camera is exposed, see an accident? start the cam, drunk driver? start the cam, a day at the track? start the cam, the possibilites are endless

17. thehaggis

thehaggis Active Member

The docks are in line or below most purpose built docks, the wall charger, car charger are a rip off, there is absolutely no reason for them to be that much.

18. dimitri407

dimitri407 Well-Known Member

I tried to go the cheap route and buy one from Walgreens but it wouldn't chager my phone enough. Even on the car charger adn using the phone the phone was slowly going dead. So I went back to the Verizon store and bought the $30 charger. I love the dock but hate that the charger was almost as much as the dock.

19. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

That's the way it works. If you don't think the value is there, don't buy it or go elsewhere. Sagging profits is what will make things change. But as others have suggested, recognize the difference between cost and value. If cost was all that mattered Yugo would probably still be around and be one of the biggest sellers.

On chargers, although they seem simple there can be differences 'under the hood' that are not obvious, things like voltage regulation, filtering and so on. Not trying to say that you can always assume that chargers that cost more are better, but you also can't assume that the ones that cost less, even if the have the same voltage and current ratings, are the same.

20. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

21. ad720

ad720 Well-Known Member

Doh. :eek: Thanks.

22. snugglysnork

snugglysnork Member

Don't be surprised.. Verizon has always charged $30 for vehicle chargers. (at least since 2004, when I switched over) Fortunately it's not mandatory for you to buy one and thanks to them not using some proprietary standard like apple, you can buy one for dirt cheap online.

If you're going to leave Verizon do it because the service costs too much or you hate the device selection.. not because the accessories that you can buy anywhere else, cost more than you like.

As for car docks, you can buy generic ones for much less, but any custom dock for a specific phone is going to cost you more.

23. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

You can buy a micro USB car charger on Amazon for less than $10.