REboot Cycle

1. agapedisciple

agapedisciple Member

My friend bought an Incredible off CL and its giving us alot of issues. (I know, he should have checked it before buying... :rolleyes:) It boot up fine, but after a few minutes, it reboot. From there on, it keeps resetting over and over and over again. It reboots even before finishing the boot loading animation.

I hoped that maybe the person selling did a bad root, so I followed iowabowtech's instructions to get back to the 2.3.4 stock ROM. Everything went fine. Then I selected "reboot" and "HTC Incredible" screen came up. Then it went black... and never came back. I pulled the battery and SD card. Powered on again and all it get is a loop of the "HTC Incredible" screen then reboot and repeat over and over again.

Is this phone dead for good? :confused:

TIA

Advertisement
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

I'd install 2.3.4 again by following those instructions again.
  3. agapedisciple

agapedisciple Member

done. same result... :(
  4. Andima

Andima Well-Known Member

If that phone still in the warranty period, tell that issue to the seller, and replace another one.
  5. agapedisciple

agapedisciple Member

Unfortunately, my friend has been unable to get any response from seller after transaction. I called HTC Repair for him and talked about warranty but they wouldn't take it once they found out that he got it through CL.
  6. Andima

Andima Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "CL"?

If the seller is in your country, then take any legal action. In our country we can report this kind of abuse to "consumer affairs authority". I think your country also have similar government body for this kind of issue. If your friend received any bill then you can do it more easily.:D
  7. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Could be a hardware issue. The only thing you can try and do is to keep trying the 2.3.4 process. Try downloading the file again directly to the SD card (if you are doing the PB31IMG.zip method). Verify the md5 hash too. Maybe try the RUU method.

Other than that there isn't much you can do.
  8. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

The links I had for the files were megaupload so obviously they're toast. You need to show us where you downloaded the files so they can be verified. I just noticed Pcvillecomp has a different MD5 than I have listed for the newest GB PB31IMG. They shouldn't be different in the case of an extracted rom.zip. There were several versions/patches of 2.3.4 that were released. If you have a true "update" file, it will be smaller in size and might not work depending on what you were running previous to flashing it.
  9. agapedisciple

agapedisciple Member

I actually downloaded the file awhile back when it was first posted. I thought it may come in handy later. Before following your instructions, I verified the MD5 with the one on your instructions, so everything should be good to go.

Does the RUU method require the phone to be running in the Android OS? If so, I can't get past the "HTC Incredible" loading screen. But I can get to the HBOOT with no problems.
  10. iowabowtech

What version of hboot are you running currently?

Anyway, if 0.92 I think you can either run the RUU from within hboot (fastboot option highlighted) or worst case from within recovery. Can't remember which or both.
  11. agapedisciple

agapedisciple Member

Hopefully I can do it from HBOOT, b/c when I try to go to Recovery, it goes into the reset cycle...
  12. iowabowtech

Well truthfully, since you're successfully loading the PB31IMG file, the RUU does the same thing so I'm not particularly encouraged that you'll see different results. Are you currently s-on or s-off? (viewable on hboot screen)
  13. agapedisciple

agapedisciple Member

I haven't rooted, so S-ON. Is it possible to root without being able to open anything by HBOOT?
  14. iowabowtech

Not sure how you'd go about rooting a non-booting phone but I don't really think it'd help anyway. If you can't boot stock, it's trouble. And what's also troubling is that you can't access recovery. I'm assuming you've already tried the factory reset option in hboot?

By the way, do you have adb/fastboot set up on a PC and know how to use it?
  15. raderator

raderator Member

Bad battery? Does the red charging light flash? Had one of those.
  16. agapedisciple

agapedisciple Member

Factory reset will come up, but the phone resets after about 2 seconds and then starts the reset loop again. I just went thru a crash course on getting Android SDK installed and played around with adb logcat on my phone which is a working HTC Incredible. Is there a way that I can use adb logcat on the other phone to see why it keeps crashing?

I've tried two different batteries. Same result. :(
  17. iowabowtech

I can't see how since it won't boot. The only idea I have with all things considered and tried is to try HTC Dev Unlock which is done using fastboot while in hboot. So you can probably make that happen. Then once unlocked, you can flash Clockwork recovery to the phone, use it to flash superuser and be rooted. Then you can try to use Clockwork to format /data and /system and also wipe everything including Dalvik cache. I'll be honest though, once you can't access recovery, factory resets fail, RUU fails, the chances are not great. But if you have the time, it could be worth trying if the next step is paperweight. The one thing that is slightly encouraging about your situation is that the RUU files actually load and seem to work, same with the factory reset. That's better than some I've been involved with.
    agapedisciple likes this.
  18. agapedisciple

agapedisciple Member

iowabowtech, thanks for all the support through this. I checked out the HTCDev website and the process looks to need to use the USB Debugging feature while the phone is booted up. Is that correct? If so, I can't get that far.

Another idea I've got is that when we first got the phone we were able to run it for about 3-5 mins while in the OS before it started rebooting. Maybe if I flash it with the original shipped OS then I'll have a better chance at diagnosing this problem. Do you know if this OS is available somewhere for d/l? And is the process the same as for 2.3.4?
  19. iowabowtech

As I understand it, HTC dev unlock is done in fastboot, not with the phone booted up. Maybe I misread it.
  20. agapedisciple

agapedisciple Member

I'm back... my friend's DINC has been sitting as a paperweight on desk as I had pretty much given up on it.

On the other hand, I've rooted my DINC and gotten around fairly well with ADB and FASTBOOT. Anyway, I'm back with the other DINC and tried following up with iowabowtech's recommendation about using HTC Dev's bootloader unlocker. To revisit, my dilemma is that this phone definitely is having issues booting up 2.3.4 but would actually run for about 5mins without noticeable issues on 2.2.

I can't roll-back due to the version check in HBOOT, but if I could root and install Clockwork that wouldn't be an issue. So.. with the HTC Dev method, FASTBOOT is all I need to use AFTER I install their 4.08.605.2 RUU. Since I can't boot into the OS, the RUU keeps failing giving a USB connection error. I've tried to skip the RUU update and proceed, but I get the following error when I try to retrieve the device token.

Code (Text):
    1. C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    2. ...
    3. (bootloader) [ERR] Command error !!!
    4. OKAY [  0.007s]
    5. finished. total time: 0.008s
    Any suggestions how I could install HTC Dev's RUU through bootloader?

TIA