• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rhyalus

Jan 7, 2011
Hello All,

How often do you find yourself rebooting the Droid 2 Global?

I am a recent Blackberry user and I used to reboot often (and then wait 15-20 minutes!!!!!).

If you do reboot, do you prefer a battery pull or the ALT/SHIFT/DEL salute from the keyboard?

Thanks,
R

Uhh..I wasn't asking HOW to reboot the phone. I was asking if people needed to on any sort of regular basis...

Maybe it is a sign of the superior Android OS, but many smartphones (especially Blackberry) need reboots or battery pulls due to memory leaks, ill behaved apps, etc.

Turning off the phone does not clear the memory, etc, does it? I would assume that battery pulls and/or ALT/SHIFT/DEL do something else.

R

Upvote 0
Uhh..I wasn't asking HOW to reboot the phone. I was asking if people needed to on any sort of regular basis...

Maybe it is a sign of the superior Android OS, but many smartphones (especially Blackberry) need reboots or battery pulls due to memory leaks, ill behaved apps, etc.

Turning off the phone does not clear the memory, etc, does it? I would assume that battery pulls and/or ALT/SHIFT/DEL do something else.

R

It's volatile memory. It can only hold its pattern while it has power. Turning off the phone via the power button resets it. Battery pulls should be used as a last resort, IMHO it's generally a good idea to let any operating system shut down on its own, if you can.

Upvote 0
Yep Rhyalus, this is a totally different world. It took me a month to "trust" android and get rid of the task killers, or stop worrying about memory. I had a storm 1 and was so pleased not to have to do the battery pull thing anymore.

As TelusMilestone said, we now have "little computers" (what I thought my Storm 1 was) and we basically treat these things just like our desktops. If it is acting "goofy" reboot it.

Reactions: NiceGuysFinishLast
Upvote 0
I reboot my Droid2 (power off/on) every morning after the alarm wakes me up ... I turn the phone off and then pull the battery once a week.

My blackberry curve I reboot once a week ... I would do it daily but it takes to long to power up .. I power off then pull the battery on it once a month.

I have always rebooted my phones daily .. even back before I had smart phones.

Upvote 0
WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE PULLING THE BATTERY? THIS DOES NOTHING UNLESS THE PHONE IS FROZEN. RAM is volatile memory. Pull power from it (by powering off/powering on your phone) and it loses its data. All a battery pull does is interrupt running processes, potentially causing an error in something major (Like... I dunno, your operating system?) If the power button works (i.e., the phone responds to commands), TURN IT OFF. DON'T PULL THE BATTERY.

I bet you pull the power cord to turn your desktop off too, right?

Upvote 0
WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE PULLING THE BATTERY? THIS DOES NOTHING UNLESS THE PHONE IS FROZEN.

Angry much ? ... I pull the battery because I want to ... it gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling ... and now that I know it offends you so badly .. I think ill do it even more.

I bet you pull the power cord to turn your desktop off too, right?

Well ... you would loose that bet .. I do however turn off the power strips on my pc's/servers/routers/switches when I power cycle them .. for the same reason mentioned above .. warm fuzzy .. offends you.

Upvote 0
Angry much ? ... I pull the battery because I want to ... it gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling ... and now that I know it offends you so badly .. I think ill do it even more.

Well ... you would loose that bet .. I do however turn off the power strips on my pc's/servers/routers/switches when I power cycle them .. for the same reason mentioned above .. warm fuzzy .. offends you.

It doesn't offend me. The nerd in me simply doesn't understand. You're putting your software (and hardware) through unnecessary stress, potentially inducing errors, for NO reason. What you do to your hardware is of no real concern to me. Just wondering how you can be shown logic and deny it out of petty spite.

Upvote 0
Hello all...thanks for the info.

You guys are right...it is a change in mindset. Perhaps nothing more than the fact that it takes 60 seconds or so to boot a Droid 2 and 20 minutes for a Blackberry 9650.

Regardless, I now get that "off" is not the same "off" that I am used to. I will only use the three finger salute if I am crashed, and I will use on/off to "reboot" on occasion.

Regards,
R

Upvote 0
Oh, I forgot to answer your original question, my bad. I reboot every couple of days. I haven't noticed a real NEED to, yet, but I know how these things are, and even if it's not a huge increase, I'm sure there's a performance boost to rebooting. I also run a very minimalist setup, and have autokiller keeping my free RAM at or above 175MB at all time.

Upvote 0
The only time I turned it off was in the airplane on a trip to Germany. Other than that there is simply no reason. 24/7 baby.

I never turn off/reboot my pc at home either unless there is something frozen. The PC is on 24/7. Just like a server, why would you reboot it unless it needed it. The power surge actually causes more harm than whatever you think you are saving my turning it off.

Just like Nice said....I don't get it. There is simply no logical reason to turn it off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones