• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rebooting When Charging

Kamau

Android Expert
Dec 17, 2010
S.W. Lower Michigan
I have a problem that has gone from annoying to straight irritating.
More times than I like during the day, whenever I plug in the charger or put it in the cradle, the phone reboots. It was doing this before I rooted it, so I can't blame it on that. All I know is that it has gone from being a small inconvenience to being a real hassle.
Anyone with help on this matter would be appreciated.

I have a problem that has gone from annoying to straight irritating.
More times than I like during the day, whenever I plug in the charger or put it in the cradle, the phone reboots. It was doing this before I rooted it, so I can't blame it on that. All I know is that it has gone from being a small inconvenience to being a real hassle.
Anyone with help on this matter would be appreciated.
Mine is just rebooting randomly.

Upvote 0
My "guess" would be a bad connection in the USB port. When you plug the charger in, or shoe in the dock, it jiggles the bad connection causing a reboot. If it's occurring more frequently, the bad connection is getting worse.

If you want to test my "guess", unplug the charger from the wall and plug it in the USB port, or use an unplugged USB cord. If the phone reboots, my guess is probably correct.

The X has a one year warranty, I'd take it back to a Verizon store and get another one.

Upvote 0
Mine does this too, the USB cable included with the phone is hard to insert into the USB port on the phone, sometimes causing it to go in sideways and then have to be forcefully popped into place. I literally just plugged it in a minute ago and it rebooted. I may consider taking it in to verizon to take a look at it, considering its less that two weeks old. An alternate solution would be to buy a new cord because I have one from my last phone that goes in to the USB port much easier than the included motorola one.

Upvote 0
Over the last 2 weeks, mine has also started rebooting a lot more than usual. I'm guessing that it's some common app that got an update and is causing the problem, especially since it seems others have recently started the same problem, too. I hope we hear about Gingerbread soon, because I'm waiting till our final update before I root, and I really want to root now just to try a different ROM that doesn't have the reboot issues of stock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones