• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Reboots? Freezing? Slow performance? Might be your SDCard!

netizenmt

Android Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2010
Mansfield, OH
When I was setting up my phone with Velocity 0.3, I wanted to have lots of room for apps, so I used an 8 GB SDCard. Everything was running nice and fast, and the performance issues I was having with stock all pretty much disappeared. I was able to overclock and stay stable at 768. All in all, I was very pleased.

However, I read on one of these threads that anything less than a class 6 card could cause issues although some have been using their class 4 4GB card that came with the phone without a problem. Imagine my surprise when I checked my 8 GB and found it was only a class 2! I immediately switched to tmy class 4 card and reflashed everything just as before.

Within a day, I began having problems with apps running slowly, my phone rebooting without warning, or freezing up. I thought maybe it was due to overclocking so I stopped overclocking it, but the problems continued. I tried reflashing, going to Velocity 0.2, everything I could think of to no avail.

On a hunch, I recalled that this all started when I switched the cards and reflashed. I switched back to the class 2 8 GB card, redid everything again and voila!! My problems all went away!!

I've ordered a class 6 which will arrive sometime this week or early next week. In the meantime, at least now I have a stable phone once again.

Hopefully, this info helps someone else struggling with a similar issue.

Just today I had my phone freeze, reboot and get stuck on the Velocity screen. First time I ever had a problem like this with my phone and it required me to flash a backup ROM. The only thing different between now and then is I'm using apps2sd on a class4 card so if your theory is correct, that might be my problem. I don't think it's a Velocity issue because my phone was fine with Velocity prior to using apps2sd.

Upvote 0
I wasn't using swap so that's not my problem. I ran into another weird problem last night where my Power Control Widget was all garbled and I could make out anything on it. After the reboot issue I had earlier and then the Power Control problems, I decided to go back to a backup ROM of Velocity where I hadn't moved any apps to the sdcard yet. Then I reformatted the sdcard and I don't plan to move apps to the sdcard again for awhile to see if the phone acts funny anymore. If it doesn't, then I gotta think it's either an apps2sd problem or something wrong with my sdcard.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'll got buy a higher class card right now, but need to know how to mirror the current SD card. I have 15 or so apps installed using APPS2SD on V3. When performing a backup using RomManager, it gives an error about attempting to mount SD card as ext3 and I don't think it properly backs up that portion of the ROM. Therefore, I'd to somehow get a new SD card, partition it properly (with SWAP too) and put my apps on the new card's EXT3 portion.

Any ideas??

Upvote 0
Ok, I'll got buy a higher class card right now, but need to know how to mirror the current SD card. I have 15 or so apps installed using APPS2SD on V3. When performing a backup using RomManager, it gives an error about attempting to mount SD card as ext3 and I don't think it properly backs up that portion of the ROM. Therefore, I'd to somehow get a new SD card, partition it properly (with SWAP too) and put my apps on the new card's EXT3 portion.

Any ideas??

Use my recovery with the + .ext option then copy your nandroid folder over to new card properly partioned card and nandroid restore.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones