1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Receive A Text - Turn on Screen???

1. forddna

forddna Well-Known Member

Okay, I love that the Epic doesn't put your new text front and center in a huge display on the screen. Woohoo..privacy! But I don't like that it doesn't automatically turn the screen on. Is there a way to change this?

It gets annoying when you're in a conversation with someone, and you have to turn the screen on every time you receive a text.

Advertisement
  2. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

I think your contradicting yourself.

You like the fact that it does'nt show text, yet you want the screen to turn on......so it can show text? huh?
  3. forddna

No, so I don't have to turn it on myself.
  4. Xenx

Xenx Member

All in all, it seems counter-intuitive. The point of the LED is to tell you that you have a message. The point of turning on the screen, is to show you that you have a message.

Best thing I could suggest would be Handcent. I do believe it has the option to not show text, but still wake up the screen.
  5. forddna

Turning on the screen to show me I have a text would be fine. I just don't want the text itself displayed on the screen in case it's not kid safe or something.
  6. ranova

ranova Well-Known Member

get executive assistant as a replacement lockscreen. You can have it turn on your screen when you receive a text - but still keep your privacy and not show the whole message.

Great replacement lockscreen anyways.

Free, ad version:
    Executive Assistant (adware) - Android app on AppBrain
  7. forddna

I think I finally have it figured out with Handcent. :) The funny thing is that I still prefer the appearance of android SMS, so I use that when texting and just use the Handcent for customizing notifications and such.
  8. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

SMS popup is another one. i love it
  9. megabiteg

megabiteg Well-Known Member

I just love that the led blinks when I get a message of any kind, that should be enough. If you consider, every time it has to power on the screen its a waist of battery actually if you miss the alert, because the screen will power off anyways at the time you have it setup to, making this a risk for battery life.

Now everyone has there likes!
  10. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

i like the screen turn on feature on my Evo because i don't always notice the LED blinking. at work i keep my phone on my desk and on silent w/ no vibrate. works quite well.
  11. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Download the handcent app!
  12. digit27

digit27 Active Member

If you want to use the stock message app get SMS Wakeup from Play. Its a small app that runs in the background and will turn the screen on when you get a text (doesn't bypass the lock-screen). Turn off 'Pop-Up Notification' in the preferences... you can also adjust the 'Screen On Length' there.