Received an interesting text, any ideas?

Last Updated:

1. eldiente

eldiente Active Member

Received a text from 900070004653 stating:"Free VZW Msg: Mandatory software update (no charge) is req'd on your device. To ensure continued optimal service, dial *228 SEND and press 2 when prompted"

I have 2.1 already and this seemed kinda weird to get and have to do. Any ideas? Is it a scam or something, haven't called the number, because I wanted to see if anyone else got the same text. thanks

2. slider5634

slider5634 Well-Known Member

That looks like a valid vzw text, but I can't be sure. Usually updates are pushed OTA without user prompt. This is a bit unusual. You might want to call vzw and ask.
  3. Kerplunk

Kerplunk Member

4. eldiente

eldiente Active Member

thanks for the info and the website on *228, just wanted to make sure it was valid before I called the number
  5. bemenaker

bemenaker Well-Known Member

You will occasionally get that from Verizon, it's safe and you should do it.
  6. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

In my 4 1/2 years with Verizon, I have never received a text telling me to update my PRL. However, I can tell you that that is Verizons texting number (if you ever call support and ask them to text you instructions, you will see that same number).

7. bemenaker

bemenaker Well-Known Member

I have gotten these before, I've been w/ Verizon for 9 years.
  8. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

though that is the PRL update method.. in 9 years also I have never gotten a text like this.

but then again, I do update my PRL about ever 3 months.