Received Replacement Droid X. 2.2? Steps to take

Last Updated:

1. KaCSmith

KaCSmith Member This Topic's Starter

Just received my replacement droid x after receiving a refurb with bad freezing problems.

Should I update to 2.2?

What steps should I take now that I have a chance to do it again?

Advertisement
  2. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Just upgrade it. You're going to upgrade eventually anyway, may as well do it now and if there's a problem, you'll know right away.

3. kheovnien

kheovnien Well-Known Member

do you intend to root it and flash custom roms? if so it might be safest to root it and update to the leak 2.3.9 and then to the final 2.3.15 version of 2.2. then if something goes wrong you can always SBF it to 2.1 again. if you update to 2.2 OTA and something goes wrong you can't SBF it or you're bricked (until the 2.2 SBF is released).

4. GregTard

GregTard Well-Known Member

I recently decided to do the OTA since I could still have my phone the way I wanted it with the OTA. There is a system sbf for the 2.2 OTA so you should be fine for anything you can do right now on the Droid X. We can't touch the loader or kernel right now so the system sbf will recover from themes and ROMs that are currently out there.

I did the following steps after using the 2.1 sbf to get back to stock:

• Download and install the OTA
    • Check this out to get ROM Manager, Bootstrap, and everything needed to recover from pre-2.2OTA issues.
    • For post-2.2 OTA issues, go here or get the Team Black Hat app from the app store.
    • Root using the Droid2 method in "The Bomb" or the semi-one-click from DroidLife
    • Install ROM Manager and Bootstrap Recovery from "The Bomb"
    • Make a backup
    • To deodex, you can use 928Droid's Deodexing deodexing theme or you can deodex manually with this tutorial.
    • You can also use P3's Tranquility 2.3.7 or drod2169's rubiX Focused 0.3 which are blurless ROMs that will deodex you as well (2 for 1).

Let us know if you hit a snag. Enough people have rooted, themed, and installed custom ROMs on the OTA at this point and with the system sbf it is as safe as 2.1.

Kevmueller likes this.
  5. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Well-Known Member

I have looked and can not find what I am looking for and this is the most recent thing I found.

I am getting more daring and starting to understand Android a little more each day. I went to the leaked 2.2 when it came out and rooted it a few days before the OTA came out because we were having problems with our home internet so I needed a wifi router at home. Then I did the SBF back to 2.1 and got the 2.2 OTA and rooted that. Yesterday I added the build.prop to my phone and added a new boot animation. So I have been thinking about deodexing my phone and adding a theme. Then I saw your post where I can deodex and add a theme at the same time. So I am going to give this a try.

I have downloaded the 928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME zip. I made a back-up of my system yesterday with Titanium Backup. I just got the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap. So I think I am ready to go, but want to make sure.

So all I need to do is put the 928DroidBlackGlassX-DroidX-OTA2315-DeOdexEERR-THEME zip on my SD card (in the root directory) launch the Reboot Recovery and I am ready to go.....correct?

Just want to make sure before I am on here posting PLEASE HELP ME I THINK I HAVE BRICKED MY PHONE.

Thanks

6. GregTard

GregTard Well-Known Member

I would use ROM Manager and make a backup of your current ROM before any mod. That way, you have something to restore if something happens. Titanium Backup is great, but it is more for backup of apps and settings, not ROM recovery.

The recommended method from the creator is to put the zip file on the root of your sdcard and name it update.zip. Then install through ROM Manager or bootstrap recovery. You can go here for more info and support. He also has another to remove the Black Glass theme leaving you with a deodexed, un-themed system.