Receiving Apps/Widgets apart from the Android MarketSupport

Last Updated:

1. ZEUS

ZEUS Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I would like some advice on how I can install apps on my phone if I get them elsewhere other than the Market? I looked into the HTC Magic manual but there was no mention of how to do this? :confused:

Also, if you don't have a data connection with your mobile phone provider, but you can connect to an open WLAN network, how can you make your phone work with the connection?

I hope someone can help! :p;)

Advertisement
  2. slarti

slarti Well-Known Member

settings -> applications -> tick unknown sources box.

Know you can install apps from anywhere, download them from the web, email them or put them on your SD card from a PC and install them on to the phone from the card.

If you have wireless turned on and you connect to the wlan then you phone will use this as it's data connection. there isn't anything else to set up.

ZEUS likes this.
  3. ZEUS

Well I've ticked the unknown sources box, and then dragged and dropped a couple of .apk files onto my SD card (actually SDHC) but the phone doesn't 'see' them? Do they actually need to be installed with some type of manager of sorts? Also I tried connecting the phone to a WLAN but couldn't get the browser to load any page or the Market to load for that matter either, even though the connection was secured and was strong enough.

4. Knutfreddy

Knutfreddy Active Member

there's an app on the Market called AppsInstaller, it finds .apk files on your sd(hc) card and lets you choose which ones to install.

5. ZEUS

Hmm, well that's the thing I didn't foresee that I would require an internet data option on my connection to Vodafone. If I downloaded this say from my computer, and then transferred it to my HTC Magic through the USB connection, would I be able to install this or not?

6. slarti

slarti Well-Known Member

The need to access data on installation would vary between different apps.