Recently got the Captivate- What are the best apps to start downloading?

Last Updated:

1. jshoe22

jshoe22 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Recently got the Captivate- What are the best apps to start downloading? I need something for office documents. Some free games and things like that.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. baji

baji Well-Known Member

Quickoffice seems to be a good office app, and it was free in the past. I don't know if it is always free, but it was free through Samsung for captivate owners.

One of the first things I addressed with my phone when I got it was replacing some of the defaults apps. For media I settled on Mixzing, which I like quite a bit. For mail, I tried several options, and have stuck with Maildroid. It works better than anything else I have tried to date, though as it is still in beta mode it has a few kinks. For texts I use handicent, which I like a lot. Coming from an iPhone, I like its interface a lot.

As for a few games, I would suggest Angry Birds, WordUp, and Jewels. Between those three, I am never terribly bored!

One other app I have been using a lot lately is one called RemoteDroid. It allows you to use your phone like a touch pad to control your computer. I have a media center system I built plugged into my TV, and being able to use the phone to control the computer from the couch is very nice!

And hey, if you find anything cool, definitely tell us! :)

3. Aerodrifting

Aerodrifting Active Member

I believe Captivate comes with office app.
    First thing to do is rooting your phone get the superuser permission, then uninstall some useless AT&T apps with "Titanium Backup"

Once that's done, get "Advanced Task Killer" to kill background Apps to save battery. After that everything goes ( A list of programs I have ):

Alarm clock plus
    Angry birds (game)
    Color Flashlight (exactly what it does)
    Facebook
    Text to speech
    Weatherbug
    Temperature / currency converter
    Landscape on / off switch

4. slophil3

slophil3 Member

After doing some research on ATK and similar programs I'm fairly convinced that you shouldn't use apps like that anymore.

5. CamaroZ28c

CamaroZ28c Well-Known Member

I recently read about this too and as I was totally new to Android, I didn't have any kind of bias for or against a task killer. The sales rep installed ATK before I even left the store and I have been using it regularly (manually though, nothing killed automatically). I didn't have complaints with lag or battery while using this. I then read the other day that we shouldn't be using task killers so I decided to try going without one for a couple days.

Turns out that my phone started getting laggy and I seriously did notice battery life suffering. One of the surest signs of lag that I NEVER experienced before this test was lag within Angry Birds!

After I noticed the battery seemed to be draining quicker than usual, I checked the battery usage available in the phone info and the Browser had used 65% of my battery! Incidentally, one of the times I would definitely use ATK was after browsing. When I used ATK regularly, the screen was always my largest battery use percentage.

So, lets get some discussion going here about task killers. I feel I understand the argument for why they shouldn't be used but my real world experience shows the exact opposite. What have you all found?

6. slophil3

slophil3 Member

I've never had the browser working like that, but I also use Operamini instead. Watchdog had it pop up once as a "trouble process"(ie taking up too much CPU) and I killed it but that was only one instance. I've never had any lag issues after I rooted my phone though. Freaking flies when it's in active use and runs just enough to turn the screen on for locked settings.

7. CamaroZ28c

CamaroZ28c Well-Known Member

I haven't rooted mine yet. I am still learning Android and was planning on rooting after the froyo update. That said, I am one of the few that likes the Touchwiz launcher would like to keep it.

8. jshoe22

jshoe22 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What is Touchwiz launcher?

9. Aerodrifting

Apple Iphone UI rip off but improved over the original

10. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

"launcher" is any of the skins that overlay Home in Android (where your wallpaper, widgets, shortcuts, etc are), and this includes "home replacements" like Launcher Pro, ADW, or just manufacturer skins like Sense (HTC), Motoblur (Motorola), or Touchwiz (Samsung). If you have not downloaded a "replacement" DO NOT KILL/AUTOKILL the touchwiz launcher app; the screen will go black for a second and then reload (essentially a crash), but you would have just interrupted any and all processes and/or system calls to your Home, which is not good long-term.

I recommend starting out with:
    FREE:
    AT&T MyWireless
    AT&T Mark the Spot
    ASTRO File Explorer
    GPS Status and/or GPS Test
    QuickOffice (while free from Samsung, search QuickOffice for Captivate)
    APPBrain
    APPBrain Fast Web Installer
    Google Earth
    My Tracks
    Google Shopper
    Google Voice
    Google Goggles
    Dropbox
    Amazon Mp3
    SMS Backup
    Speed Test
    Google Skymap
    Qik
    Flashlight
    Ringdroid
    Barcode Scanner
    HandyCalc
    XDA
    Google Places Directory
    Handcent SMS
    Evernote
    Google My Maps Editor
    Tweetdeck
    Wifi Analyzer
    Tux Rider
    Layar
    Frozen Bubble

Paid:
    Data Counter
    Advanced Task Manager
    Bonsai Blast
    Data Viz Documents to Go (I prefer to QuickOffice)
    Weatherbug (I use the Elite)
    Doodle Jump
    Abduction World Attack & Abduction 2
    Hi-Hiker Pro (lots of good utilities for when/if you go off trail)
    Flightstats
    Parcels
    Jewellust
    Air Traffic Control
    Rugby Nations 09
    My Paper Airplane 2
    Fishin' to go
    Beautiful Widgets
    Fruit Ninja
    Deerhunter 3D

These are my favorites that find their way onto all of my phones, and I have not had any issues with any of them. Feel free to pick and choose what might interest you, or ask about why I have any of them...
    In terms of Office software, I prefer Docs to Go simply because it has more Excel functionality (though not complete functionality yet) which I use mostly for sample data entry. The QuickOffice app is faster and easier for simply viewing documents though...

PS I have also found through personal experience that task killers are generally more beneficial than harmful, but I would recommend finding a "task manager" such as the one above, simply because you have greater control over what gets killed and when, and mine has an "exclude" option which keeps the necessary things going (my rules of thumb: your launcher, wallpaper- if live, all widgets, and anything you want notifications from).

11. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Here's my currently installed apps, though some come and go:

S2KRoadRacer's Apps on the phone

Stuff I use daily/frequently (some may be on the phone OOTB, but just dumping these quickly from memory):

Launcher Pro (home/dock replacement)
    K9 Mail (vs. the stock email client)
    DirecTV (remote DVR control)
    Amazon
    IMDB
    Mixzing (vs. the stock music player)
    EBay
    Yahoo Fantasy Football '10
    Smart Clipboard (super slick, keep common text on a global clipboard)
    Titanium Backup (requires root)
    Smart Shortcut (a few variations on this, create folders/icons, and groups)
    Note Everything (simple, super handy note app)
    .noMedia Manger (flag directories to NOT be scanned by the media scanner)
    SwiFTP (simple file transfer system across WiFi)
    Handcent SMS
    Snowstorm weather widget
    Launcher pro widgets (SMS, Twitter, Contacts)
    Google Voice (awesome "visual voicemail", text transcription, etc.)

12. bumwithshoes

bumwithshoes Active Member

Music Downloader Pro (free)

13. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member

Tapster is another good one.

14. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Check out the Applications section of the forum. You can learn a lot from there.

The first 2 weeks with my phone, I just surfed the Market and literally scrolled through all the Applications listing. The ones with at least 4 stars and sounded interesting I read the description and the comments. The ones I thought I could use I downloaded. Others, I made a mental note of.

Read through almost all the "Free" ones :) - I still occasionally review the Just In ones, too.

15. NJR

NJR Well-Known Member

Lots of good suggestions here. The only one I paid for was "My Reminders" It sets up a Widget on your home page, you can use voice to record them, it can scroll automatically, and it has alerts, and archives if you want them... great for those quick memory joggers etc.

16. bumwithshoes

bumwithshoes Active Member

thanks NJR i'll try to remember that one

17. fldude99

fldude99 Well-Known Member

Totally disagree with both of those bolded statements. Simple answer to both is: DON'T. Especially for a new user

18. Aerodrifting

I am a new user and I rooted my phone within 24 hours I unboxed it, and there is absolutely no going back to the way it was.
    Although I am a quick learner and I have a pretty good understanding of computers, bottomline is --- uninstalling the useless junkwares on your phone makes your phone runs much more smoother and battery lasts longer.

I don't see a reason not to do it. Root > Titanium backup > uninstall = win.

19. titan2005

titan2005 Well-Known Member

ROM manager is a must IMO.

20. Simba501

Simba501 Well-Known Member

Ditto! The exact thing happened to me. I used a task killer and saw that a good number of people felt it was unnecessary. I stopped using it and omg, it was lag crazy and yes, my battery life did suffer. I see absolutely no harm in using a task killer in the way that I use it. I've established an ignore list of everything that needs to stay open and I don't use the autokill feature. I also never kill any processes (security set to high), and it only shows apps.

21. viny2cool

viny2cool Well-Known Member

Task killers are not bad if u know how to use it. There are some apps like Android system apps which are required to run the system. Some people press kill all, and kill those apps too. They restart themselves so to keep the system going, hence killing it forcefully and auto restart affects the performance and battery life.

I am not using any task killer per say, but i am usinng paid version of System Panel. Its a good app to see which app is actively using my CPU and which is inactive. The apps are like gmail and Gtalk, will never get killed by any task killer. But they are harmless apps, they dont eat ur battery or Data (i said eat mean using it for no reason not use). I used system panel one tap kill when i use lots of apps at a time or when i switch on my phone. I have all the apps which should be running and will restart excluded for this one click kill.

If you dont know how to use it read : Task killers - CapFAQ
    awesome 2 aricles too.

22. JayFReaZy

JayFReaZy Active Member

I recently got my captivate about 2 weeks ago and I've been loving it. However, I have a question regarding a recent app I installed. I installed Opera Mini and Opera Mobile. Whenever I open my stock android browser and click a link, a window ALWAYS pops up asking which app I'd like to use to open the link. Either Opera Mini, Opera Mobile, or stock browser. It's quite annoying, and I didn't want to have to un-install opera mini as it does a great job in compressing websites. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

23. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

24. viny2cool

viny2cool Well-Known Member

Next time it pop ups, check mark set as default and tap on the app u want to use as default. So now for all app directing u to webpage will use ur default browser set by u.

25. onedog31

onedog31 New Member

Vlingo

This app will read texts to you while you are driving, and can use voice recognition to send texts. love it.

Sports Tap

Will auto update favorite teams scores for you as a widget.

Snesoid
    Nesoid

Video game emulators that allow you to play any game you have a rom for. Super Tecmo Bowl baby!