1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Reception Issues? Concerned about radio signal strength?

1. Holeshot88

Holeshot88 Active Member

Im not sure if its sprint or my phone but almost 70 percent of the time I cannot send text messages, connect 3g, and when I make phone calls I get nothing but busy signals. When I send a text I just get a triangle and a explamation mark thing.When people call me it just sends them straight to my voicemail.I am out of town but where I had 3g connection yesterday at times all day today I had nothing. Does anyone have a clue whats the deal?

Advertisement
  2. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

Sprint may be working on the network in your location, or maybe a ntwork issue.

Have you tried to do a PRL update and a Data Profile update?

Go under Settings / System Updates / Update PRL Do the PRL first. ;)
    Then do the Profile . It might fix your network issues. :)
  3. 3vodroid

3vodroid Well-Known Member

I'm having no issue with calls or texts in fact the call quality is amazing.... But the 3g in my area is amazingly slow all the sudden.. Sometimes I can't even connect I am going to contact sprint tomorrow... I'm thinking it's simply heavy traffic in my area.. (ocean city new jersey) bc of memorial Day weekend... There are thousands and thousands of people that come to this area for the weekend as you can imagine... After I talk to sprint tomorrow I wll leave a report.
    --
    3g is back to normal for me today..gues yesterday was just a slow day in my area..

Is it just me or is facebook/instagram/Twitter very slow... The browser and tapatalk are fast.. but for some strange reason those 3 apps are very slow...anyone else experiencing this?
  4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

After today, take it to a Sprint repair center and get an RF box test.

Dial *2, then talk to a rep via the menu choice, have them make the appointment for you.

Don't get stuck with a lemon after it's too late.
  5. EarlyMon

Use Open Signal Maps to see what sort of tower signal you have and if you are tower hopping instead of locking on to just one.

Please post back results.

I hope that I'm wrong, but your description fits a phone with a bad RF section.
    BeerPimp likes this.
  6. excav8ter

excav8ter Well-Known Member

Thanks EarlyMon.....I installed open signal maps.....I don't seem to be locking to any tower in particular.....but going between 2 or 3 for just a few seconds each. I will look into it more later today and post back.....right now its 85 and sunny....need to get a trader vics rum and diet coke, and head to the pool for a few hours. :D
    3volut1on and BenChase7 like this.
  7. cooper1010

cooper1010 Well-Known Member

Wow, my reception stinks! That app says I'm getting no more than 40% from three different towers. Can I get an airwave?
  8. EarlyMon

Unless you have weird tower activity there due to the holiday, that's highly suggestive of a bad 3G radio or antenna, if you never had a problem with a previous phone there.

And happy Memorial Day! :D

Maybe. How's your performance otherwise, in other locations? Compared to your perception of previous phones?

Are you tower hopping?

What's your signal in -dBm?
    3vodroid and excav8ter like this.
  9. excav8ter

I just did the speed test on open signal.... ping: 380ms......download: 540kbps......upload: 589 kbps

I don't know what that means..... :)

Signal strength is bouncing between 53%-64%....with an average of 61%

Signal is -87dBm
  10. hootie

hootie Active Member

What would be considered poor, average, great?
  11. EarlyMon

The tower hopping and high ping time is disturbing. That adds up to battery eating and inconsistent performance.

Under normal conditions, reception ought vary by just a few dBm, maybe 4 or 5 tops. My graph is usually a straight line.
    excav8ter and BenChase7 like this.
  12. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

I dont see any red flags there (pings a little high, but not a concern)... Those are all fairly solid numbers. My signal is usually about -87dBm in my house, too.
    excav8ter likes this.
  13. cooper1010

Actually, it's been pretty bad, but I've been assigned to a notoriously poor area signal wise for the last couple days at work. I'm getting one to two bars at home, which is normal, I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    excav8ter, EarlyMon and PattiCakeUS like this.
  14. mlb

mlb Well-Known Member

I had similar issues with data dropping on my Ltevo and I finally had enough so I called Sprint and they walked me through another activation. So far it seems to have fixed it. Plus I got my MSL.
    EarlyMon and PattiCakeUS like this.
  15. excav8ter

After having it for one full day of work, and now the long weekend, I have some concerns and wonder if anyone else is seeing the same issues?

Friday the 25th. unplugged at 6am and off to work. Battery did fine, did not charge till I went to bed at 10pm.

Saturday the 26th. phone is getting quite warm, data connection goes on and off at random and the internet is TERRIBLY slow. Can't seem to hold a cell signal either. Battery life needed to give it a quick charge a couple times during the day.

Sunday the 27th. left at 7am. by 2pm I was down to 38% with very little use. A few text messages and a about 10 emails. Phone was very warm again. Signal was not great, but could not get internet connection at all. Data turning off and on again, at random.

Is it possible that there is an issue with Sprint in my area?

Do I have a phone issue? Or a sprint issue? Or is it me?
  16. omiller315

omiller315 Well-Known Member

I had a ping in the 1000's, but I live in a heavily wooded area. Never ran this program before to know if the OG Evo did the same. I usually only have 2-3 bars max at home. Mine was bouncing a few towers also.. hmm.. Now you guys have me worried.lol
  17. excav8ter

......what is "MSL". :confused:
  18. Bnice

Bnice Guest

MSL is like a master lock for your phone.It is used to activate the phone.
  19. EarlyMon

Tower hopping in an adverse physical environment or at a fringe reception area but rarely ok otherwise.
    excav8ter likes this.
  20. excav8ter

How do you do a screen shot like that......
  21. Sauske

Sauske Well-Known Member

Power + Volume down button simultaneously!;)
    PattiCakeUS and excav8ter like this.
  22. 3vodroid

3vodroid Well-Known Member

My 3g data has been horrible...but only when using facebook Twitter and intagram...tapatalk and google search/browser are up to par...I'm going to call sprint tomorrow .. I just wanted to wait and see how it was after all the shoobees left town...I live in a beach town and everyone migrates here for memorial day weekend...A LOT of people
    denise1768 likes this.
  23. BGold4140

BGold4140 New Member

I'm having the same issue with my data. It keeps dropping at random times. Does sprint know to just do a reactivation? Or will they just tell me to go to a store? I would rather they try over the phone .
  24. AM2

AM2 Well-Known Member

has there been any word on when they flip the lte switch. I've accepted the fact that 3G is gonna be sketchy, and only use it on demand if even necessary. is lte coinciding with official release date?
  25. cooper1010

More than my beach town? Sounds like a wager.