ReceptionGeneral

Last Updated:

1. erisdog63

erisdog63 Member This Topic's Starter

I hope this doesn't end up being a deal breaker for me because I really do like this phone.......but when I'm in my house, my reception is horrible. Actually when looking at the eris, I hardly ever show a strong signal. Usually around 2 bars,3 at best. The only place I show a full signal is in the Verzon store. Last night I dropped 2 calls back to back to Comcast, and I'm very frustrated because my BB had a good signal everywhere. I never dropped calls in my home before. One thing that I did notice though, when the phone shows a 3G signal, there is no phone signal, but if it shows 1X, then I show usually 2 bars. All I know is that this is getting very frustrating for me since I did away with my land line. I have to be able to depend on a decent reception. Is anyone else having the same issue???

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

take you phone back, apparently there was a batch or eris's (erii?) that had bad antenna's, this is a complaint we have seen, though many people have no issues.

i would take it back and get a new one.

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I have been showing some very low bars in some areas, but my signal has been great even when I am showing no bars (meaning no problems with calls or data). I was thinking is was probably just a meter software issue, like the battery used to have before the update. My phone has full bars and is showing 3G right now though. Have you tried the *228 update? I know my phone usually gets a little signal boost in some areas after that. If other Verizon phones are getting a good signal in your home you may also want to consider swapping the phone out for another one. I have had to do that in the past with other devices and it usually helps. I know VZW tech support will try to help if they can.

I hope you can get it resolved. Though I wouldn't blame you at all for taking it back, it is a phone first and foremost and that part has to work.

4. Caddyman

right, i show low bars too, but i never drop calls, ever, leads me to believe he has a lemon.

the *228 is a good suggestion though ofthedamned.

5. swimminginthoughts

swimminginthoughts Well-Known Member

I'm going to try updating mine tonight too. I've been getting crappy signals and everyone has been saying "HUH?" or "You sound like a robot..."

6. timlitw

timlitw Well-Known Member

7. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member

i've had some dropped calls and some issues at my apartment, but i have very weak signal here and i've had issues with other phones in this spot as well. so i don't think it's the Eris, at least in my case. it doesn't seem to be the absolute best at pulling in a signal but it seems to do a good job. i wonder if the signal in the OP's home is weak. you said your BB was fine there, but was the signal still low?

8. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I fully expected to see a gold and clear sticker when I clicked on that link. :D

Thanks for posting that though, I have a friend that can really use something like that.

9. swimminginthoughts

My old chocolate phone got really good reception at my house, the Eris, not so much...

10. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Verizon has their Network Extender. I have one since signal was week in my house. Now I have full signal in my house. Here is the link below click the enter location:
    Enter your location

11. Mortgage_It

Mortgage_It Well-Known Member

my eris shows less signal strength in my house than any former blackberry i ever had. however, never drops a call. so, i'm guessing it is a meter display difference. the blackberry had more forgiving tolerances on the meter.

12. swimminginthoughts

Tried the update, it didn't work. I drove through a large city today and still had bad reception (never more than 2 bars but should have had all). I finally get fed up of everyone saying "HUH?" so I called Verizon's tech support today. Talked to a nice guy who was having trouble hearing me too and it even dropped the call during our conversation! He's sending me a new one, we'll see if it fixes the issue.

13. sherrywilson44

sherrywilson44 Member

I know the thing about dropped calls but all day long today I have been unable to make ANY outgoing phone calls. The incoming calls have excellent reception and everything else seems to be working on my phone, ie. texting, etc. Before I attempt to make a call I may have three bars then as I dial it goes down to zero. I did a factory reset. I tried calling *228 but even that dropped. This is a totally new thing. I doubt it's the towers in our area as my husband is not having any problems with his. Does anyone have any idea what's going on with my droid?

14. swimminginthoughts

Have you tried rebooting? I'd call tech support or visit a corporate store and show them what's happening.

15. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

My eris always shows lower bars than my friends' LG's. However, I never drop calls. One thing I've noticed is that if I have a very weak signal, the battery will drain VERY quickly.

Also, as someone else has noted, I will get a few bars if it switches to 1x, but none at 3g - even though my internet will work fine and I will be able to call & text without problems.

I'm on my 2nd Eris and it's the same as my first.

16. mark307

mark307 Member

My neighbor has very poor cellular service. I installed a zBoost with their included, indoor antenna several months ago. This has helped, somewhat, all of our other phones (LG, Palm), but not the Eris -- no bars (0), and rapid battery drain. In other places with decent coverage, I have noticed that I have 0 bars, but can send/receive calls, but gain noticed rapid battery drain. Wonder if I have a bad Eris antenna?

17. sherrywilson44

sherrywilson44 Member

Just to follow up on my original post..my phone was deemed defective and they replaced it. Done.

18. swimminginthoughts

Well, mine was replaced too and I still have the same problem. It's not usable. Think I'll have to take it back and get a completely different phone. Does the moto droid have any better reception?

19. joeyray15

joeyray15 Well-Known Member

I know next to nothing when it comes to the technical reason things work or don't but for some miraculous reason my bars are almost always full bars everywhere now, i was having the same exact issue and about 2 days ago i stopped using sense UI and switched to vanilla for a day then thought i would switch back and also remove my screen protector and when i switched and rebooted i have had full bars even after numerous reboots! haha maybe it was my screen protector!

20. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

i never have less than 3 bars..

21. Caddyman

funny my phone just dropped a call.

22. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

been with verizon for a year..never had a dropped call either..

23. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

Mine is very inconsistent with signal. It will jump from 3 bars to none, then back to 2, etc..

Haven't had any dropped calls yet. Just inconsistent battery as well.

24. tracerr00

tracerr00 New Member

I came on this forum specifically to see if anyone else was having these problems! I switched carriers so this is my first experience with Verizon. I have the Eris and I would have thought that it was just Verizon if my boyfriend hadn't have gotten the Motorola Droid. He gets perfect service in our house and I get no bars at all! And not only do I not get any bars but it keeps dropping my calls even outside of my home. I love the phone and everything that it does but as an actual phone, it does not work very well. I am within my 15 days so my boyfriend is making me bring it back, possibly to upgrade to the Motorola Droid.

25. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

The only time I've ever had a problem with Verizon's service is when I duck into either a tunnel, one of the numerous deep hollows around where I live, or if I'm in radiology or the basement of the hospital where I work. If I'm in a good place, I always get excellent reception.