1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Reception ?Support

1. mills23

mills23 Well-Known Member

How is the reception on this phone? My S3 has terrible reception.

Advertisement
    :
    DILands likes this.
  2. mills23

Has no-one made a call on this thing yet??
  3. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

What carrier?
  4. yousmell

yousmell Member

The radios are awesome. .im in a barely there 3g and picks up quit well
  5. mills23

I'm on Verizon. My husband uses a old flip Razr and everyone else I know that is on Verizon around here gets good reception but me.
  6. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Are you talking data reception, or phone call reception? Not the same thing, since I can have no data, but phone calls and text works fine. As far as data though, I agree that the S3 is weak for 3G. Down right awful, IMO.

Great 4G device, but awful 3G/1.5G device. At least everywhere I have been.
  7. mills23

I'm talking phone calls.
  8. finn5975

finn5975 Well-Known Member

You'll need some patience. Since the Verizon version does not release until May 30th, no one currently with the phone will be testing the specific CDMA based radios the Verizon unit will use.
  9. SSmokybear

SSmokybear Well-Known Member

On Sprint, so far so good as far as voice calls. This here in San Diego on a VERY old network. Way better the the HTC One was.
  10. scottyj

scottyj Member

No problem with my reception mate. Im with T-mobile and in the hills n vallys lol. I dont get 4g thought and tbh would not want it at that rip off price.
  11. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

Whatever Sprint users are getting with reception is as close as we can get to knowing, but it still doesn't necessarily mean that the Verizon one will be the exact same. We'll have to wait until the end of May or beginning of June to know for sure.
  12. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm finding it excellent, although mine is different, its the Exynos Octa variant, so it comes with a Broadcom antenna, same with my GS3, so Rf was never an issue with it.

In terms of calls, its great, loud and clear, it also supports HD Voice so long as your network supports it. :)
  13. mills23

I live in the hills of Kentucky. I use a network extender at home. My phone is still the only one with bad reception even connected to the extender.
  14. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

I have Sprint in NJ and mine is fine, same as my iPhone 5.
  15. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Initial feedback as far as data radios is no better at best than the S3. Frustrating to have to both wait for VZW and also hope a 32gb is released to test myself.

In VZW defense on launch date, if supply is tight, makes no sense launching more and ticking folks off more. That said, no quarter if no 32.
  16. mills23

I'm not worried about the data to be honest. I use Wi-Fi most of the time any way. But dropping calls all the time is getting on my last nerve! I love every thing about my GS3 except the phone part. I don't wanna upgrade to the S4 if its just as bad.
  17. Kie

Kie Well-Known Member

I've found reception to be less stable than my S2. It tends to drop out randomly where the S2 was always constant. I imagine it's because my S2 modem had been through a load of incremental updates to improve stability, whereas this one is just starting out. I'm sure devs will find kernel/modem tweaks to improve stability in a similar way.
  18. mills23

That would be great if I wasn't afraid to root! Jail breaking a iPhone is easy but this, not so much.
  19. Kie

Kie Well-Known Member

Ah it's not so bad. I just posted a quick and easy guide here :)
  20. mills23

I was with you right up to here- 4. Open up Odin v3.04. That would be on the PC right? And where do I get this?
  21. Kie

Kie Well-Known Member

Sorry, you can get it from here! I'll add that to the post :)
  22. sincarafan

sincarafan Well-Known Member

Mine on t-mobile is perfect. I have tons of t-mobile towers around where I live though so I'm not surprised.
  23. mills23

I'm convinced that it's just my phone. Every one else I know with Verizon has no problem with service around here.
  24. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

I have the AT&T version of the phone with LTE in it. Everywhere I go there's LTE and it's a strong signal, very few places where there's no LTE. Voice quality is great and data performance is excellent.
  25. Kie

Kie Well-Known Member

Verizon huh? I should probably highlight the fact that my guide is for the i9505 version only, so make sure you have the i9505. I'm not sure what Verizon is.

This is why it's good to have a general International S4 discussion section rather than grouping all countries together, mods :p