Recessed headphone jack?

Last Updated:

1. Ozor Mox

Ozor Mox Member This Topic's Starter

Can anyone who owns a Desire tell me if it works ok with headphones that didn't come with the device? After reading the thread about music skipping with third party headphones plugged in, I did a little bit of research and discovered that this problem seems to be linked to devices with a recessed headphone jack, like the Droid Eris, iPhone, Nexus One, etc. They tend to only play nice with the supplied headphones, and certain other brands. Turns out the iPhone is actually pretty infamous for it.

I have pre-ordered the Desire, but I am considering switching to the Legend, as this has a flat/normal headphone jack, and as I really hate those in-ear headphones that are supplied, I'm going to want to use something other than the supplied HTC ones.

Advertisement
  2. Kronite

Kronite Active Member

God ****in damnit...you say it will be like this on the Desire as well??
    Struggling like a motherf.... with my iPhone and third party eadphones. Can't have it in my pocket as it will skip, stop, start etc all the time. :(

3. Ozor Mox

Ozor Mox Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, don't let this put you off. After some more searching and whatnot, it seems this is some kind of problem with different headphone plugs, causing the phone to interpret movements of the connector as commands coming from a headset like pause, skip, rewind, etc. I've found reports of the problem on the Galaxy i7500, Motorola Droid, Nexus One... Some of the phones have flat headphone jacks, so it looks like it doesn't really have anything to do with the shape of the connector. I guess I'll stick with my Desire order and see how my headphones work with it.

4. Kronite

Kronite Active Member

Hope you're right. We'll see... :)

5. chowhuskylass

chowhuskylass Well-Known Member

I got so sick of cables i have gone wireless for the first time this week in readiness for my new phone, they were cheap enough at

6. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

The HTC headphones are quite good (the ones that come with it).

7. Kronite

Kronite Active Member

chowhuskylass: Been there, done that :p

I'm planing to give the htc ones a shot before buying new ones, ye.

Anyone heard anything about this being a problem with the beats by dre plugs btw?

8. bendip

bendip Member

using some earbud creative earphones on my desire, no problems at all...tried it with my home cans..sennheiser 6 series, again no issues

9. Karolis

Karolis Well-Known Member

I have tried 2 different headphones and 1 cassette tape adapter -- all worked fine on my HTC Desire.

Can't see why such rumors would be started.

Radio also works fine with all of them, contrary to some claims that it will only work with the original headphones.

10. Kronite

Kronite Active Member

"Can't see why such rumors would be started."

Probably the scheming iNaziz going at it again :eek: ...bastards :(