recharge on distance bike trip

Last Updated:

1. ccphilly1984

ccphilly1984 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i will be doing a distance bicycle ride from philadelphia to atlantic city for charrity soon... i was going to stream pandora during my ride (going through the speaker on my hip) ... how long do you think the battery would last streaming on my hip? how much more charge do you think a double a battery would give my droid with this device? i'm thinking of getting this device so i can just plug in and charge my phone and keep on peddling my way along. this will be an all day event.

Advertisement
  2. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

here ya go...

Pedal & Power

let us know if ya try it and how it works

3. mrjerryk

mrjerryk Well-Known Member

4. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

If you are an avid rider and plan on doing this a lot, you can go with one of these

Its lighter weight than the one posted before me, it produces a lot less drag, they are more durable and nicer looking.

Shimano Nexus Generator Hubs For Bicycles

5. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

6. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

A few comments. First, I did a similar bike race in the same area for charity when I was in high school. Except mine started in New Jersey and we rode to Cape May. Total distance - 100 KM (I finished 4th!).

Second, I'm also from the Philly area, so I really like your avatar. I'm a huge Phillies fan.

Third, to answer the question in your OP, I've streamed Pandora non-stop for nearly 6 hours without charging it (while warming up for and then runnning a marathon). Started with a full battery and I was at 10% left when I stopped streaming. I'm rooted, but I scaled down my CPU speeds to stock to conserve battery life.

Hope the temps aren't as hot as they've been for your ride. My family still lives in the area and they told me it's over 100 there today.

7. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

I am looking at the same myself, the only thing keeping my from using the droid instead of my garmin for rids logs is the battery. The garmin is I run dead I can swap in a couple spare AA's but the droid I need a charger. I'm wanting to get a genhub myself one of these days.

8. Froid

Froid Well-Known Member

9. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

The bad thing about those is its one more thing to carry were a generator hub is part of the bike.

10. RadOD

RadOD Active Member

Wow, rodeo, I can't stream pandora (or slacker) to stream for more than an hour without crashing! I regularly bike for longer and I've been incredibly frustrated with the droid for streaming.