• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

recieved mine today

Napalm

Android Expert
Jul 28, 2010
Memphis, TN
So I got a surprise of sorts this afternoon. I got my LG V20 today.

silver since I'm just going to put a case on it. So far so good, moving from my note 3 sucked though. microsd card was corrupted to the point where the data could only be read through the note 3.

so hook up to computer - pull out crap, send to NAS box - pull down off wifi with V20. Using Estrong file explorer.

all other stuff was fairly straight forward. got a new memory card anyway. Should be a fun ride for a few years.

I got my V20 as well yesterday, replacing a S7 Edge, which was my Note 7 replacement. I didn't like the curved screen on the S7 Edge, and the V20 is pretty darn close to the same size as the Note 7. Kind of miss the S-Pen, but the V20 is about $200 less than the Note, and $100 less than the Edge, so I can buy a lot of stylus' for the price difference. The 2nd screen is cool, the build quality is very good, and I like the UI once I figured out how to get the app drawer back. VZW took the "smart functions" away, which sucks. The phone is kind of slippery, but I find all metal and/or glass phones to be that way, and a neoprene case will fix that issue.

Tl;dr I like my V20 and it's a very good Note 7 replacement

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
I got mine yesterday...hint if you on verizon go to the website they will show who has it in stock already and they'll sell it you #screwreleasedates.

So far a worthy note4 replacement, miss the pen but like the camera and as for size it's slightly longer but nothing worth noting...see what i did there lol pun intended

Upvote 0
It's not much longer but it is a tick or 2. slicker than snot though - I almost dropped it a few times before I could get a case for it. that sucked - but amazon had a 9 dollar ringke thing. it works ok but it's not wowingly great. I miss my UAG some - not much though. probably not 30 dollars enough.

Why so slick the burnished AL back and sides are slippery when clean. can't be helped and it's very clean and well made.

second screen can be useful at times - like it can control your media playing when the main screen is off - regardless of the app. so far works with google music, LG music (obviously), Spotify, and Jet Audio. again suck it samsung.

light sturdy - I like being back in a metal body mobile. removeable battery - please LG Please Keep that.

new memory card - don't buy the super high speed stuff just as it doesn't have the connectors for the UHS 2 connections. SO I got a SanDisk extreme 64Gb. plenty fast but I've not tried to shoot 4K video yet. should be OK, might get a 128 gb later.

daylight visibility is pretty good -

pictures are pretty good but I haven't done much with that yet - love the wide vs normal angle system. fantastic idea.

sound quality - yeah if you listen to tunes, with good quality cans, or car audio, or whatever - and you like to use wires to connect your sound. THIS is the device for you. amazing - sounds better than CD's played direct in my car using the input cable. HiFI audio section is only for the headphone jack. you know that archaic round thing that is apparently so hard to put into a mobile. that amazing analog thing. On the home wifi - clean as my main player connected with optical cable. both devics playing the same FLAC audio file - one decoded with panasonic bluray - converted and amped with a marantz reciever. tested with headphone plug using flac audio played through Jet Audio Plus - no optimizations no equalizations - direct to the maratz reciever. sound is amazing - for a moblie. better than the wife's iphone 6s, and better than the note 3, or my older favorite motorola razr maxx.

very happy so far.

Upvote 0
I thought I was going to miss the pen for some things - actually used keep and jotted a note with my finger. fairly accurate - but not as compact as the stylus

I never used the writing as much as I drew with it - I can do that still with the V20. It's not quite a clean but with practice and some work I bet I can get it better. other wise - I will mod me a case to keep my stylus - it still works without the extra stuff that I never used anyway

Upvote 0
few days of use update

So battery does make it though the day for me - even with some calls, mostly audio playback and repetitive speed tests of the cell bandwidth (making sure I am getting better signal pass than I did on previous phone) and other general first days use.

Navigation to work (moved to a new house, working on best routings using waze), playing tunes at work and in the car so about 4-6 hours per day constant) - some spotify streaming in that mix too - few phone calls going around 2 hours total - other stuff - no games - navigation home with music playback.

start at 100%, end at around 48% - so not bad really. But I used to get more out of my note 3 when it was new.

second screen for media control FYI - awesome feature.

so far still fantastic - sound quality is on point.

I did however order some new usb3.1 to C cables and a new car charger

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
I also ordered a new car charger, but I also found these two cheap adapters. They allowed me to keep and still use my existing micro USB chargers for only $8. They came last night and I've found they work well on my existing power adapters. You could find them on amazon:
2-Pack Type C (USB-C) to Micro USB 2.0 Female Adapter Charge and Data Sync Converter Cable Connector )

Upvote 0
thought about that option but opted for a new cable. the newer batteries and phones can use so much power I didn't want to limit it to what the micro usb I have can carry. I also wanted a full speed data cable - well another one. so I ordered a set of 2 I orange cables off amazon. with prime shipping and their 2 for 21 dollar packaging it was very cheap. I should mentioned I got 2 meter cables by the way. I need some length for the car power (4 feet won't cut it).

and I wanted one for home - while taking the LG cable to work.

SO then my car adapter is 7 or so years old and only puts 1.3 amps out to the cord and that won't work. so I had to get a new one of those.

Upvote 0
I've had it for about a week and a half and am really liking it. Coming from a Note 7 (moment of silence, please). I'm still kind of on the fence about the second screen--it doesn't seem too terribly functional, but it might become more so--but I haven't had any problems with battery or anything. Seems like the LG skin is lighter and closer to true Android than Samsung. The audio (on headphones) is outstanding. Overall it seems like a great phone.

Upvote 0
I got mine two days ago, so far so good. I'm finding it hard to find phone cases or USB cables for it though. I wish the battery lasted a bit longer.

SO I have a post about cases - I mostly like the one I got. It's good enough for now. I've had and used those uber protection cases and find they aren't worth much. As I'm mostly careful anyway and I don't buy crap phones it seems.

to that end

battery - after the first full kill and recharge cycle (that I recommend you do just once to fully calibrate the phone) turn on and keep on the battery saver mode. you won't notice it - unless you game hard, all the time.

Upvote 0
that works but what size is the power transfer wires in your existing cable. 32 ga, 28, 24?

for the full power load that it can pull you'll want to have 24ga main volt leads and wires.

I have a cable that would have worked that way - but right now I just delegate it to another device that used micro-usb. I needed it anyway. One thing that pissed me off about the note 3 was the use of that micro-3 cable since nothing else uses that now.

meh.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones