Recieved replacement Moto Droid with a completely different keyboard...

Last Updated:

1. Clittzen

Clittzen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I ordered my boyfriends replacement Droid on Friday. Received today. He just informed me that the keyboards are completely different. Has there been a change in keyboards or is something wrong here? Will post picture later when I get home if anyone would like.

Advertisement
  2. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

There is supposed to be a different keyboard on the Droid 2 but I don't think they have changed anything on the original.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

Please do post. Some have reported that a Droid may have more slightly raised keys than the other. Unless somehow he got a Droid 2 -__-

4. Clittzen

He says the keyboard is completely flat and it slides out differently. Will post pictures later.

5. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

Slides out different? I can't wait to see pics.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

His old one must have been one of the few with bumpy keys. The average Droid's keyboard is flat.

I didn't realize mine had bumpy keys til I compared it to my friend's.

7. Clittzen

8. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

Same here. I had to send my original from launch day droid back and it had very raised keys and this brand new replacement has a very flat keyboard which I love because for whatever reason it clicks a lot more but the difference between the two was vast!

9. Clittzen

Im surprised there are different keyboards. He doesnt like the flatness at all. So hoping for raised on the next replacement.

10. condog

condog Well-Known Member

sorry but i doubt it will happen. it seems that only a few launch day keyboards had the raised keyboard, and the rest have the normal flat ones.

11. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Such a shame. I love my bumpy keyboard. Maybe that's why I'm one of the few who actually uses it.

12. GorillaTheHutt

GorillaTheHutt Well-Known Member

this is another reason why i'm hesitant to return my launch Droid, even though it had proximity sensor problems. is the general consensus that the flatter keyboard is worse?

13. Clittzen

He uses his frequently too. He's not going to be a happy camper im sure. Im also surprised they sent us a refurb that had a loose screen.

14. mrjerryk

mrjerryk Well-Known Member

I have the same keyboard. My Droid is new and only about 3 weeks old. I can't stand using it at all. I am thinking about getting the Droid X when it's released.

15. Clittzen

Ya im replacing my Incredible with the X. He wants the X too but isnt up for his early upgrade till October. I hate the keyboard on the Moto Droid myself. Im too used to touch screens.

16. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

My flat keyboard is perfectly fine and I use it all the time. I've never seen/used the raised keyboard though, so I can't say much.

17. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Verizon stated that anyone eligible for an upgrade in 2010 will be "bumped" up and eligible for upgrade when the Droid X is released.

I personally am going to hold off and see what develops with Verizon's 4G/LTE network. Also, Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread) devices will be shipping by the end of the year supposedly.

18. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

You can do this to upgrade to any smart phone. One of my lines wasn't due to upgrade 'til the end of September but my sister wanted a Droid (she hosed her EnV2). I used that line to get her one, no problems at all.
    And her new Droid has the flat keyboard, mine (launch day) is a nice bumpy one.

19. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Im doing the same, I'm currently not even in a contract and have an upgrade eligible whenever I want. But I'm worried that if I wait too long to get into a 2 year contract, there won't be unlimited data plans available anymore. Personally, I'd rather have 3G unlimited than 4G limited.

20. dannyboybr

dannyboybr Member

i noticed the same thing when i got a replacement... the bumped keyboard is better.... I still use the screen kb for one tumbing... dont have much probs with the keyboard except for the number keys

21. bhowell423

bhowell423 New Member

this is not a new keyboard but I have seen this before. Basically with the motorola droid keyboard if you use it day in and day out the keyboard will start to bubble and raise up. So your bf keyboard was flat when he got it and it raises up over time with heavy use. Seen it will the heavy texters or emailers. So no worrys the replacement one they are sending you with have the same flat keyboard.

22. brandoshido

brandoshido Well-Known Member

mine is a bumped keyboard. I didnt realize they had different ones. I got mine day 1.

23. droid.

droid. Well-Known Member

I got mine day 1 and it has the flat keyboard. The keyboard is ok.

24. kg6epf

kg6epf Well-Known Member

Sorry sir, but this is completely false!
    There are 2 very distinctly diffferent Droid keyboards out there. I got my day one Droid at the same time as my friend and when we compared keyboards the first day, his was bubbled, mine was not. It's a different construction and has absolutely nothing to do with use.

25. rocksthaman

rocksthaman Well-Known Member

Funny I always wandered why everybody complained about the keyboard so much , bought mine launch day and got raised keys . I guess you take the good with me bad.

Oh and for the person waiting on verizon to get their LTE/4g going , they have already said they are not going to have a 4g phone out till next summer . Might as well do what you like for a yr till the real beast come out .