• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recieving picture mail texts???

CALL SPRINT. It IS something on their side, not our phones. See this thread. This is a big issue i have been working on.

MMS Download Issues (NOT WIFI ISSUE) - PPCGeeks

(I am takmsdsm)

Anyone else having MMS download issues.

Just to note:
running .7
Errors both in Handcent and Stock Messaging app.
WiFi is off (never have even turned Wifi on)

I called sprint last night and they had me to a update profile.

I read on another forum that something on the account is getting cleared out on sprints side, so i had the tech check that and she mumbled something about picmail email address missing on her side. She sent me a test MMS and it worked. As soon as I tried to download a message I had received previous to the Sprint call, it went back to not working anymore.

Here are some links describing similar problems:

Hero by HTC:MMS Messaging Issues (HTC Hero)

MMS unable to Download? - Android Central Forums

Hero by HTC:picture Mail

Interesting quotes:

Quote:
Hey, the rep I was speaking with mentioned a workaround for that. Call in and ask for the "Advanced Tech Support department".
Quote:
I had this problem, and went through **** and back to fix it over the phone.. Finally I took it into the store, and turns out something was wrong with a setting in my account. They fixed this at a local store. Only difference, my pic mail had NEVER worked correctly, but the first thing I did was hoook up my wifi from my house. So maybe you and I had the same problem. But It works now!!
Quote:
I had this issue! Dont waste your time getting a new phone.. just take yours to a local store, and have them check your account. There's a number they have to change.
Quote:
Update your profile menu--settings--about phone--system updates--update profile.
reboot the phone
call sprint, tell them you do have the latest profile for your phone and they need to disable sms/mms, send one to verify it's blocked, then enable sms/mms, then verify again.

This is what was done to fix a hero here after the update, and it has worked fine since.
Quote:
What I would suggest -
Take it to your local Sprint store.
Make the Tech send you several MMS messages, and let him see they don't open.
They replace the phone.
When it happens again, take that one in as well.
Raise a little fuss, get a nice credit (they love to give credits to shut customers up), then explain that it happens on 2 phones, therefore it's a PROBLEM ON THEIR END. Politely tell them they could have saved the cost of the new phone + shipping + your time and trouble + the amount (if any) of credit you got if the tech had listened to something ANOTHER TECH figured out already for many others.

I love Sprint. Usually everything works. But they are stubborn as hell when it comes to troubleshooting. Their techs refuse to think outside of their box. In a case like yours, it's simply unacceptable.

I am about to call sprint again. But here is my hypothesis. Our Heros are able to somehow clear out some settings on sprints servers. I am not sure if this is due to hitting "Download" multiple times, or something else. But this seems like a huge flaw in the MMS system or in the phone.

The point being here is dont let them try and point the finger at the phone and the old fashion "do a hard reset".

The facts:

• I have done a hard reset. Multiple ones.
  • Sprint has fixed something on their system on their side that allowed 1-2 picmails to work.
  • With sprint on the phone, i have broken it again, with the same download/downloading/download unsuccessful results.
  • Sprint tech support is just call center "follow the numbered dots" customer service reps. We need to get this to the engineers.

Upvote 0
Fine.

Is anyone still having problems downloading MMS messages on the Hero? Using either Handcent or the stock app? I've got them both on my phone, and have gotten two MMS messages in the past two days, and neither will download. Granted, I'm at home where service isn't the best, but I've got enough to browse the internet easily, so a simple picture should download, right?

Either way, the message yesterday didn't download even after I was in an area with better service, with either app.

So is anyone STILL having the same type of issue?

Upvote 0
I'm working on a little "experiment". I had my gf send me 2 pics from her Sprint phone. I'm going to try one with Handcent, and one with the Stock app. If they both download, I'll assume it's a problem with receiving mms from AT&T or Iphones, or something like that, since it's my sister that I seem to be having the most issues getting mms from. But, it's been 10 minutes since my gf sent the pics, and I've only even received one, the second one doesn't exist on my phone as of yet...wtf...

Upvote 0
+1 for MMS download issues. I click the "Download" link and get a notification that the message can't be downloaded. This happens with both Handcent and stock Messaging.

I've had Picture Mail issues with this phone since day 1. It seems before the firmware update a couple weeks ago the MMS problems would persist for a few hours, then all of a sudden I could download them. This cycle would continue every time someone sent me a Pic Mail.

Since the firmware update it has gotten worse. I've only been able to download 1 or 2 of the 10 or 15 Pic Mails I've received.

It's almost like the MMS messages will get backed up on the network. Someone will send me Pic Mail, then text to ask if I got it (which I didn't) then send another Pic Mail. At this time the first Pic Mail they sent will arrive, with the second one still wandering around somewhere on the network.

I'm writing this in hopes that some developer somewhere from either Sprint or HTC will read it and realize that it is an incredibly #$!@#$#$% frustrating issue and that it needs to be fixed.

I don't pay $200 for a phone and $80 a month to deal with stupid %$!# like this. Ugh.

Hey, at least I get instant gMail notifications, so I just have people e-mail me pictures now.

Upvote 0
This is EXACTLY the issue I am having. Did the 2nd one arrive yet? :)

Have you figured anything out to trick this $600 device into downloading Pic Mails?

lol, actually, the 2nd one arrived about 18 hours later, but showed up under a different contact. Once I hit "download", the message disappeared under that contact, and showed back up under my gf's messages, with the picture successfully downloaded.

I'm guessing Roaming has a major effect on texts in general

Upvote 0
have there been any updates to this problem?? I am getting the "download was unsuccessful" message for picture texts. I get this with wi-fi off in evdo, with or without handcent.

i was on the phone w/ Sprint's Advanced Tech Support team & they tried troubleshooting & nada. so i reset my phone back to factory settings & BAM i got pic/mail. so far so good. :) you just wanna make sure your backup your contacts, pics/vids etc. a good app for that is Lookout. check it out in the Marketplace.

Upvote 0
Ok, Look. I think i found the Only fix so far. first go on Gmail and update all ohone numbers in your contacts (to prevent adding all numbers back in) You will have to do a hard rest!!! If you dont want to do that, then you will not get picture mail until you do. :) All your paid apps will show paid for once you put your gmail info in. (very easy). I did this last night after 3 months of not getting picture mail. It also took care of all Force closes. SEE THE DIRECTIONS:

1/ Switch off the phone (either removing the battery or shutting down by holding the "end call" button for few seconds
2/ While being switched off, hold the "home" (house) and "back" (the arrow in the lower right corner)
3/ Hit briefly the "end call" button" while still holding the "home" and "back" buttons.
4/ Release the "home" and "back" button, a white screen containing technical information should appear, with a red message asking for hitting the "menu" button.
5/ Hit the "menu button", the Hero will now boot with factory settings.

Factory settings means that every information stored on the ROM (NOT your SD memory card) will be cleared (for me it was just the address book which was instantly updated thanks to my Google account).

Upvote 0
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } Ok ... firstly I should say that I am on a low-cost network here in the U.K. I am using an HTC Hero with custom Modaco ROM / Radio. I have had the dreaded MMS problem with pictures failing to download.

I have sorted it for my phone! I looked around for the MMS settings for Tesco UK (my provider). They were not able to send them via text message to me; I assume this means that the phone is not yet officially supported. However, I went into the Wireless settings on the Hero and edited the APN, I had previously set up the APN to get mobile Internet as follows:

Homepage: http://wap.tesco-mobile.com/
APN address (contract): prepay.tesco-mobile.com
Gateway (IP) address : 193.113.200.195
Username : tescowap
Password: password
Session type: Continuous / permanent
Port number: 9201

In order to get the pictures sent to me in MutliMedia messages I had to add the following into the MMSC field in the APN settings:

http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002

I can now view MMS pictures by doing the following: I have to toggle the 'Mobile Network' using the HTC widget, or in the wireless setting area, then click on the Download in the message and it works perfectly. You will need to find the specific URL for your provider and put it in the MMSC settings. Best of luck to you all :)

Upvote 0
I am getting the same problem. Only when i receive mms messages from other people on Sprint I get the box mms and I click on it and it brings up a square with an arrow in it. So I push menu and download mms. It saves it to the file downloads on the sd card. So I have to then go to albums and pull it up that way. Alot of people that send them on ATT I get the picture in the message but some i have to download also its very sporadic.

Upvote 0
I too had the same problem. I called Sprint and they had me reset the phone and they sent me a pic and I got it..........only to not get anymore the very next day. I had to call them back and they then did a complete reset, firmware and all, over the phone with me and I have not had the problem anymore. Seems that some apps WILL cause your slideshow not to work. I did use the proximity app then and I was having problems so since I got my phone reset I did not reinstall that app. I also use task kill and I make sure that I do not close out my messaging app, which i use the factory one. Like i said, I know that one of the two things I was doing, the proximity app or killing an app needed for text pics, was the cause of the problem. It had nothing to do with how many bars I had or anything like that.

Upvote 0
So I got my hero about a month and a half ago, and could never download any mms messages. Once in a while, if I didn't open the message promptly it would download itself, but probably only happened 3 or 4 times. Yesterday It started to be able to download the mms pics. Totally out of the blue. I just thought that it was weird... Happen for anyone else with the mms issue?

confused.gif

Upvote 0
When I first bought my HTC Hero phone I had no problems at all. then about 1mo later, no pictures coming through. It would either read 'unable to download' , 'download failed' , or just get stuck and reading downloading without ever finishing the download. I just recently had a full hard reset done, and amazingly I was able to get pics again. Then, AGAIN, it stopped downloading pics!!! This is getting VERY VERY irritating!!! There is supposed to be a patch coming out, or so they say. But nothing seems to be forthcoming...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones