Recieving pictures with Wifi on?Support

Last Updated:

1. sryans2004

sryans2004 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all.

So I have just traded in my HTC Evo for the Epic 4G. So far its been pretty nice to me but then again I have only had it for a couple hours.
    One thing about my phones is that I use WiFi more a lot.. When I seem to have wifi on and someone sends me a picture through text, it wont download the picture unless I turn WiFi off.. Is there anything I can do to change this? Is this happeneing to everybody?
    The EVO you could have wifi on and it would still download pictures and what not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and sorry if there was another thread about this, I searched and couldnt find.

Advertisement
  2. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

I don't own an epic but i do own a captivate
    and i have owned many droid branded android and evo.

On my captivate and droids i have to turn off wifi to be able to send and receive Pix. Idk why but they won't come or go through.

On the evo i never had to worry about it provided i was in a 4g area.

It's annoying

sryans2004 likes this.
  3. Tommydaniel

Tommydaniel Well-Known Member

Well it makes sense that the wifi needs to be off. Sending and recieving picture mail uses for your network and their connection and when wifi is on your network connection is turned off.

sryans2004 likes this.
  4. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

What you are describing sounds like MMS functionality. As far as I know ALL sprint phones must have wifi off to send and receive these types of messages. I am sure at somepoint this can be coded around, but the way things currently work your phone can only utilize one internet connection at a time, so if your wifi radio is on and connected the phone can not send and receive data with the tower.

5. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

I think it's an android thing. My palm pre
    Was able to do it with wifi on

6. sryans2004

sryans2004 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hmm, That's very weird because my HTC EVO, which is both Android and Sprint would allow me to send and recieve pictures while WiFi being on.. Maybe it temp disabled WiFi until the pictures were done downloading? I am not sure but I know for a fact that it happened like that.

I have also tried using both stock "Messaging" and "Handcent".. I really wish there was a way to keep WiFi on since I have NO 3G/4G in my area which means it's really slow here if I try to use sprint's data which is why I rely on WiFi.. Its just a pain to go up to the notifications bar and turn it back on......... Not really I am just lazy, lol.. Or missing my EVO.. Still wouldnt trade the EPIC back for it though, I just love the physical keyboard!

Thanks anyways :/

7. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I can send and receive images via both stock Messages and Handcent on the Evo, no problem. At home, my phone is connected to my Fios router, and my 3G signal happens to be nonexistent. So... not sure how the MMS is sent, but it seems to be doing it through the wifi connection. Unless MMS can be sent via 1xRTT. I do have an Airave for that. But I sent a fairly large image the other day (3mb), and it was fairly instantaneous.

8. Suave

Suave New Member

I have the Samsung Epic 4G and I've had it since it's release and just noticed this issue this week. I switched from a PalmPre phone. At first I thought it was the Sprint network. I called Sprint and they did a hard reset and the Sprint rep on the phone sent me a couple of test msgs with pics and it worked fine. Then I realized that Handcent SMS app was having issues with MMS downloading which I currently had running. the default SMS app doesn't even look right. I will ask friends to text me pics with the Wifi off I havent tried that yet and if this works that would SUCK. I too like Carmendiva had a PalmPre which is what I had prior to the Epic 4G and I did not have to disable the wifi. The PalmPre worked like a champ. I can honesty say that the Palm Pre is a pretty bad ass little phone I have no complaints on it...I was actually thinking if I should of switched to Android actualy lol. I think like Carmen is right its a Android thing and it should be fixed.