• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

reclaim ~2Gb of space

InGearX

Android Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2011
05835478db9061fcf1d8296cec4521be.jpg

2798e57d5065d92b2d3716aaec1da1fa.jpg

note .thumbnail in the screenshots

it uses a ton of space
and CPU

by default media player (?) to generate thumbnails for all the videos on your device ..

i never use it ..

if i delete them .. they come back :/

how can we delete and disable this

thank you ..

e1a76319ddd1caf6b148f17cb6430996.jpg

1655630d5ee3283f49279c7b58a8374e.jpg

is this the right archetecture of andoid OS:

i downloaded Wikipedia offline ..

it is ~4GB

i see another 4GB used by it :/

what if I delete the .apk (towards in screenshot)

what will happen?

is tbis the right and intended way (archetecture) of Android OS .. to use 2x apace?

please help.. me and all of us .. anyone could be running into this with this or other apps..

thank you..

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/threads/qu...ruth-read-me-first-now-with-ram-truth.906249/

You're not looking at the Android structure, you're looking at the media files l ayout on your storage area.

Is it correct?

Yes.

Is that what happens when you set Wikipedia for offline use? Yes, if that what it requires.

How did you download Wikipedia? From the Play Store? Or did you sideload it from your pc? Did you have it set up to move to the sd card? (Check main settings, Apps, All, Wikipedia and see.)

Go to your gallery app - what albums are you specifying thumbnails for?

2 GB is a lot - but I have no idea what media you have in there.

If you have a corrupted media file, your thumbnails will bloat quickly.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I hope you have enough notification icons. ;)

The APK is the application itself. If you delete the APK, you won't be able to use the app.

The storage under Android/obb is storage used for additional data needed (or created) by applications. In this case, that's probably the compressed data that represents the wikipedia article entries.

It is strange that the APK would be so large, but that's an issue for the application developer rather than Android/Google as a whole.

It's a bit developer-oriented, but this document explains a bit about how those expansion files are stored.

Upvote 0
Seems rather clumsy to have the whole Wiki database in the APK itself. Better to have the APK small, i.e. the app itself, and then it downloads the Wiki database the first time you run it. Be easier for Wiki updates as well, have them incremental instead of downloading the whole 4GB thing in APK again.

Here it looks like you've still got the 4GB APK as it was downloaded, and another 4GB used for when it was installed.

BTW sure you have enough notifications there? :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones