Reclaim Lost Space

Last Updated:

1. shpadoinkle

shpadoinkle Member This Topic's Starter

Every since upgrading from droid to droid2 i have been trying to find a way to reclaim some space on my newly partitioned 16GB Micro SD card. The Droid2 OS decided that my memory card should have 2 equally sized partitions. Since i have about 7GB of music on my phone, i have less than 1GB left for additional storage.I only have a few MB of apps on the system partition so, i would like to reallocate some of that unused space to the re-writable partition where my music is. The only real alternative is to buy a 32GB card which is a bit out of my price range atm.

My Droid is rooted and i have no problem wiping the card if that is what it takes. If this is something that has to be done via a computer i am running windows 7 x64 but have access to 32bit xp and 7 machines.

Can anybody help me?

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Never heard of anything like this...I have my 16GB D1 card in my D2 and the D2 has never had issues reading/writing the card.

Have you tried backing up your SD card files and just reformatting (and repartitioning if necessary) your SD card? The D2 will have no issues using it as a 16GB card.

3. crg31953

crg31953 Active Member

Same here, I am using my D1 card in my D2 and have never had any issues.
    You should have no problems coping your files to your PC and use the phone to format it, I don't see the D2 automatically partitioning the sd card and was not aware the phone could even do that.

Settings/SD card & phone storage/unmount SD card/format SD card

Good Luck

4. shpadoinkle

5. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

Did you keep the 16 gb card from the D1? It looks like no.... The D2 came with an 8 gb card. Thats the 7.39 gb listed on top. It also included 8 gb of internal storage. Thats the 6.20 on the bottom.

Unless something is majorly wrong, you do not have a 16 gb card.

6. shpadoinkle

yup its in 8 i just assumed it had the same chip since the Verizon salesman said it did. Luckily I can get the d1 chip back.

thanks for the help

7. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I have the D1 card in with no issues.
    I have done a backup and format - quicker SD load @ startup.

I have been thinking that I will take SD files I absolutely need (app backups, mp3s), put those back on after format, and letting system recreated needed files. I have alot of crap on there.

Also - COPY files to desktop before format. I Moved them the first time and had major issues.

8. shpadoinkle

I was able to swap cards and now everything is fine.

I was confused b/c the D1 SD card option page shows only the internal storage below and the micro sd storage above. I feel like an idiot for not taking out the card to see what it actually was.