recomend beginers a rom

Last Updated:

1. aaronmach1

aaronmach1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i have never rooted and all of you are talking me into it since im getting bored of my droid. now as somone new to attempting this and afraid of wrecking my phone, can i get some opinions on the easiest way to root and the easiest rom to go with on the new root. thanks!

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

The DMUpdater and DroidMod do it all for. It doesn't get any easier that that. Checkout the "All Things Root" subforum listed above the Droid forum.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Looks like someone moved it to this forum already.

The DMUpdater is by far the easiest method thus far, but I urge you to do some reading - start with the Sticky in this forum.

Also, DMUpdater allows for multiple ROMs, not just DroidMod - but it is ultimately going to be your choice.

For a good list of ROMs, see AllDroid - View forum - Droid - each of those subforums is devoted to a particular developer of different ROMs, and most include pictures, so you can evaluate the aesthetics for yourself.

4. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

i second what johnlgalt says. read and do it yourself. its just a better way of doing things. when you know whats going on its less scary and easier to fix your own mistakes.

Personally I am using Adamz Smoked glass 5.0.1 running at 1.2GHz with petes kernel. and I am loving it so far. but its only been 2 hours. check with me again in the morning ha ha.

5. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Yeah, please do some reading first. At least then, if you run into problems, you will be able to fix it...

I'm on Pete's 2.1 (0.5). Pretty solid, but I get some random forcecloses from time to time. Nothing major, but it's a tad annoying...

6. aaronmach1

well i went by the 3 vids by "vtothez" and im rooted backed up and running smoked glass! this is sweet! rooting wasnt nothing like i thought it was! its simple!

7. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Glad you got it! VtotheZ's vids are excellent!!!

I also second what the others have said, but with this disclaimer... if you just want to push a few buttons to root and get on with your life, Droidmod is the way to go. It's almost automatic and nearly flawless.;)

If you are willing to get addicted to the rooting process (and you will) and have time to spend every waking moment (or like me, every OTHER waking moment) reading these forums, tinkering with this device, experiencing the roller coaster ride of small victories:p as well as the terrifying "oh crap":eek: moments, then learning "how" to root is the way to go...

8. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

so now the important question. Did you go with 5.0.1? and how fast are you overclocked? and did you flash it with petes kernel for the better performance and heat numbers?

9. aaronmach1

im not overclocked yet at all. It wasnt version 5.0.1. i just went with what was in vtothez's vids.