recommend Android phone - like Blackberry?

Last Updated:

1. thrashertm

thrashertm Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,
    I'm on Tmobile and just bought a G2, with my prior phone being a Blackberry 8310. I'm having some buyers' remorse (annoying interface, keyboard, crashes), and was hoping for suggestions on an alternative. I'm out of my Tmobile contract - so I can hop to another carrier. Can someone suggest a good blackberry-like phone running android? I tried the Motorola Charm, but found it underpowered. Here are my needs -

1. Blackberry-like physical keyboard for 1 handed typing
    2. Blackberry-like size (don't really care about having a HUGE screen)
    3. Touch screen
    4. Fast and responsive OS
    5. Android
    6. HSPA+ would be nice, but ability to stream youtube is a must
    7. Free tethering (using PDANet on my G2)
    Does this phone exist, or is there one on the horizon?

If there's an upcoming option, I might revert to my 8310 and limp along until it comes out. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

Martimus and thrashertm like this.
  3. thrashertm

Thanks for the tip. That looks perfect! Only problem is...Verizon is expensive on rate plans compared to Tmobile. I'm getting 1000 minutes and 1000 texts for $45 + $25 for data. Any idea how this phone will be priced?

4. Super_Six_Two

Yeah...Verizon is not even close...I just looked. An individual plan for 900 minutes and unlimited texts is $80 + $30 for data

I am on a family plan, so its not as bad, but the individual is certainly expensive. I just don't think there are any other android phones yet that are like a BB. Maybe look at the Torch on ATT....

thrashertm likes this.
  5. thrashertm

I just found out that I can get a corporate discount of 22% on the plan + the phone. That puts it in my range. Nice...

How is the Internet performance on the phone? Do you know how fast you can download in kiloBytes/sec? How about watching Youtube?

I was able to get 800KB/sec on my G2 with the HSPA+ on Tmobile. I guess that the download speed isn't as important as responsiveness. I think I'll need to stop by a Verizon store and try their phones out.

6. Super_Six_Two

I have a droid 2 by Motorola, so it is kind of similar to this phone. Download speeds ranged from 500kbs to 1.5mbs when I actually tested the speed. YouTube videos are always fast to load and the phone is pretty quick. This new phone is supposed to have a faster CPU and should be even better.

7. thrashertm

significantly slower download, but I think responsiveness (latency) is more important frankly. When I skip to a new part of a youtube video, it takes about 5 second to load. How is it for you?

8. Super_Six_Two

In the test I just did, took 3-5 sec to jump to new not loaded part of the video.

9. thrashertm

Looks like I'll be limping along with an old flip phone until the Pro arrives.