recommend me a network extender / booster

Last Updated:

1. jasondhsd

jasondhsd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

While I've never dropped a call and I alway have 3G I always have either zero or one bar of signal showing. And my battery hits yellow midday with fairly light usage. Compared to my old house about 2 miles away (just moved last week) I would have full bars and my batter would last 16hrs before hitting yellow. So I think I need a network booster. First, do they actually work? Second, if so what is a good recommendation. Third, do they boost boost data evdo signal too or just voice? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. DroidEye22

DroidEye22 Well-Known Member

I bought one, my signal strength never goes under 69- BDM at home and its as fast as my Wifi.

3. jasondhsd

uh huh and what exactly did you buy?

4. dookie1

dookie1 Well-Known Member

call vzw, ask for a supervisor, complain about your home coverage...'i'd love to cancel my landline'...

they gave me a samsung extender for free. works great, for voice. 1x signal only...no 3g data via extender. but i have wifi, so that doesn't concern me.

5. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

I got the Verizon Network Extender made by Samsung. It boosts only 1X voice. It needs to be connected to a broadband internet connection, so just use your wifi broadband for data.

It works well. Not recommended for satellite broadband though.

6. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

I always liked the idea of a network extender but Verizon's gotta be nuts to be selling them for $250. They benefit from these installations as much as their users who invest in them. The spec's on the network extender says that they'll support 3 simultaneous calls and that any VZW customer within range can access them based on an optional access list (which will only prioritize access).

Oh well... I'm getting -81 dbm at my house. It's not what I'd describe as optimal but it could be much worse.

7. jasondhsd

Well 1x boost isn't good, I need data too and if its only boosting 1x then the phone is still gonna be using all its might to get a 3g signal and my battery will still be poor. I went and ordered one of theses that boosts data and voice Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics

I'll post back when I get it and use it for a few days.

8. Martimus

Congrats!

I'm hoping you checked to make sure that the network extender you purchased is compatible with your specific area:

Verizon Wireless Repeater Amplifier Frequency Information

The SignalBoost DT is an EXPENSIVE network extender. It looks like 3gstore sells it for better than $300. I hope it works out for you...

9. flippy1974

flippy1974 Well-Known Member

Please let me know how this does i've been looking at these myself and was thinking about the one that does 20000 sf.

10. fdnyfish

fdnyfish Active Member

11. flippy1974

Any update on these?

12. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Where can you get the info in your phone on how strong your signal is? I consistantly have 4 or 5 bars showing, but I would still like to know just how strong exactly that is.

13. xliderider

Menu, Settings, About, Status. Look at the Signal Strength in -dBms. The larger the number the stronger the signal. So -76 dBm is better than -86 dBm. Additionally, the dBm scale is logarithmic not linear, so a difference of 10 dBm is 10x stronger or weaker. A difference of 3 dBm is roughly double/half.

You can also use an app like Mobile Signal Widget to see realtime signal strength on your homescreen.

14. Exiled

Exiled Well-Known Member

Settings > About Phone (all the way at the bottom) > Status. Under signal strength

15. flippy1974

any body thats bought the wilson device going to give any feed back ?

16. Martimus

Yea... inquiring minds want to know! :D

17. xliderider

I've used a Wilson repeater setup before, admittedly many many years ago, but think about it. You need a somewhat decent signal outside your house to begin with. Then you need to capture that weak signal (if it was strong, you wouldn't need it in the first place, right?), then the system passes that amplified signal to your device through an antenna that you place somewhere inside. Then the signal from your device is amplified and transmitted to the distant cell tower. Setting these repeater systems up is a little tricky. You need to somewhat isolate the outside antenna and the inside antenna from each other, or the system won't work very well.

IMO, the network extenders are much better because it is working over a broadband internet connection for a clean/reliable signal. With a network extender like the one Verizon sells, you can have essentially zero cell signal, and the NE will give you a strong, clean signal in your home/appartment. It's like you are moving the cell tower inside your home. As for data, use wifi on the same broadband connection your NE is setup on.

18. flippy1974

I can get full 3 g signal outside my house in spots but not inside. Im in the rural spot and can't get high speed I have to run sat internet so the Verizon thing wont work.

19. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Just buy the Verizon one. Why bother with anything else? It's only $99 after rebate. It uses your internet connection.

20. Greavous

Greavous Well-Known Member

Did the same thing here and got it for free. Seems Verizon only used one color of red if their coverage tickled the area where you live. After checking out all the towers in our area they reported back that all was good on their end but I was in a poor coverage to no coverage area (same red on the map as DC or San Antonio) and they sent me an extender for free.

Just be nice to whichever idiot you get on the phone and have the balls to ask for their supervisor so you can move up the chain until you get what you need.

After getting the extender my battery will last over a day just sitting around. Used to eat up a battery in half a day without it.

21. flippy1974

some people dont have the high speed internet to be able to use it or they would .

22. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

The network extender uses 40Kbps per call. As long as you have some form of broadband, even the slowest DSL, you'll be fine.

People still use dialup?? :eek:

23. Martimus

Some people use their Smartphones in lieu of a more traditional Internet connection...

DRTMI likes this.
  24. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

Dang... the latency is awful. That would be hard to live with.

25. flippy1974

There is a bandwidth limit and its not very much on satellite internet and also Verizon says it wont work on satellite internet.