• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Recommendation of a ROM

Jon_LTD

Android Expert
Sep 6, 2011
Uk
Hi all

Yesterday, I spent a good proportion of the day rooting my girlfriends wildfire and installing a Rom, as her Stock rom was getting laggy and crashed frequently etc. At the moment I've installed another Sense Rom but she is keen on using Go Launcher. IMHO, Sense is a bit of a heavy interface and full of bloatware which needs to be stripped - and little to no point using a Sense Rom if you favour Go Launcher.

Can anyone recommend any AOSP rom which is: Lightweight (basics only) and stable (so preferably not a beta - but will consider it if it's considered stable). I've had a look at the list on the XDA website (here) and none of the 7 AOSP roms tick the boxes. I've used CM7 before (on my Desire so not sure if it's the same on the Wildfire) but this seems like the only option close to what I'd like. Is this the case?

Many thanks for all your input.

Jon

Hi all

Yesterday, I spent a good proportion of the day rooting my girlfriends wildfire and installing a Rom, as her Stock rom was getting laggy and crashed frequently etc. At the moment I've installed another Sense Rom but she is keen on using Go Launcher. IMHO, Sense is a bit of a heavy interface and full of bloatware which needs to be stripped - and little to no point using a Sense Rom if you favour Go Launcher.

Can anyone recommend any AOSP rom which is: Lightweight (basics only) and stable (so preferably not a beta - but will consider it if it's considered stable). I've had a look at the list on the XDA website (here) and none of the 7 AOSP roms tick the boxes. I've used CM7 before (on my Desire so not sure if it's the same on the Wildfire) but this seems like the only option close to what I'd like. Is this the case?

Many thanks for all your input.

Jon
i am using myself RemPuzzleRom (Remake of WildPuzzle) and works pretty good :)

Upvote 0
Hmm is that a Sense rom? I'm just having issues finding a stable AOSP rom. Most appear very buggy with elements not working. Why release a build which doesn't have 3g or wifi working?
Cm7 seems like it's my only option

RemPuzzle Rom is indeed a sense ROM, a remake of the original WildPuzzle ROM
The reviews are decent but i havnt personally tried it out, Sense ROMs arent as customisable as AOSP roms :l
Im currently using CyanogenMod (as most people), because i can get support for Wildfire and it has pretty good scripts that increase internal memory and RAM,
I have tried other AOSP roms but they didnt really do it for me.
Mainly because there is only so much the Wildfire can handle, so most AOSP roms are pretty similar, well so are Sense ROMs,
The only ROMs ive had for a long time is the Sensation Extreme (Nothing special about it, trust me), Wildpuzzle (Had an annoying bug) and currently CyanogenMod 7.1.0. (Other versions had unbearable bugs)

If you are going to pick Cyanogen then do some research about bugs, i havnt yet experienced a version with no bugs

Upvote 0
Thanks for the good info, and I flashed cm6 on the phone over the weekend. I figured a slightly older build would not be as taxing on the phone. So far it seems very very nice. No lag or force close issues, the only "bug" is the seemingly squashed "pattern" security lock. Also need to do some tweaking as far as the Notification bar is concerned as I've Made it black and I can't read the text behind it. Truth be told, I might just flashed cm7 directly over the top and iron out these minor niggles.
Wifi and 3g are seemingly more responsive too.
Have you tried cm6 & 7? If yes, does 7 handle just as well as 6? And can I flash directly over? Or is it advised to do a full wipe?

Many thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the good info, and I flashed cm6 on the phone over the weekend. I figured a slightly older build would not be as taxing on the phone. So far it seems very very nice. No lag or force close issues, the only "bug" is the seemingly squashed "pattern" security lock. Also need to do some tweaking as far as the Notification bar is concerned as I've Made it black and I can't read the text behind it. Truth be told, I might just flashed cm7 directly over the top and iron out these minor niggles.
Wifi and 3g are seemingly more responsive too.
Have you tried cm6 & 7? If yes, does 7 handle just as well as 6? And can I flash directly over? Or is it advised to do a full wipe?

Many thanks!

The only versions ive tried are 7.0.3, 7.1.0 and 7.1.0.1
When i first used CyanogenMod it was version 7.1.0, i then changed to various other ROMs till this day where i am again using it, CM v.7.1.0.1 has a really annoying bug where the internet would stop working whether your using mobile internet or WiFi, i flashed 7.1.0 to see if it didnt have the same problem, until recently i discovered it did but its not as frequent, hopefully they fix it

Whenever flashing any cyanogenmod version over another, you dont have to wipe anything, just flash it :)

Reactions: Jon_LTD
Upvote 0
6.x was a stable enough ROM but the few little glitches was annoying me (although the missus seemed fine with it!). I flashed 7.x over the top and it seems to be running with no problems and all the annoying little features ironed out. But I will keep an eye out for the unstable browsing.

Upvote 0
6.x was a stable enough ROM but the few little glitches was annoying me (although the missus seemed fine with it!). I flashed 7.x over the top and it seems to be running with no problems and all the annoying little features ironed out. But I will keep an eye out for the unstable browsing.

Thanks ill keep that in mind, my Wildfire is currently on the verge of being thrown of a cliff, that Wi-Fi/mobile network problem is annoying me. Hopefully the magic that worked for you will work for me :D

Upvote 0
Hmm - first little niggle. SuperUser app isn't in the app draw - but it is installed! It's complaining that there isn't enough memory (which I have never seen) and when I open this from the task bar, it takes me to the market where the SuperUser app is where I can open it.. Completely bizarre. So it's installed and I used it (Titanium Backup, Adblock etc) but it's just not visible.
As for the browsing - no apparent issues yet :D

Upvote 0
Hmm - first little niggle. SuperUser app isn't in the app draw - but it is installed! It's complaining that there isn't enough memory (which I have never seen) and when I open this from the task bar, it takes me to the market where the SuperUser app is where I can open it.. Completely bizarre. So it's installed and I used it (Titanium Backup, Adblock etc) but it's just not visible.
As for the browsing - no apparent issues yet :D

Hmm weird, mines always been there.
Its funny how everyone has different problems that other dont have.
Since your running CM7, there is a script which reduces memory usage of apps so low internal memory will only arise if you have like 60+ apps, for instance, the theme that i am using, i moved to my internal memory /system/app/ to be precise. It originally was 6.58MB now its 0.00MB :D and it works perfectly fine

Btw using a file manager with read/write permissions try moving the SuperUser.apk from /system/app/ to /data/app (where you apps that have not been moved to the sd card are stored), reboot your Wildfire and see if it appears.
The browser if fine for me aswell thankfully :D

Upvote 0
Hmm weird, mines always been there.
Its funny how everyone has different problems that other dont have.
Since your running CM7, there is a script which reduces memory usage of apps so low internal memory will only arise if you have like 60+ apps, for instance, the theme that i am using, i moved to my internal memory /system/app/ to be precise. It originally was 6.58MB now its 0.00MB :D and it works perfectly fine

Btw using a file manager with read/write permissions try moving the SuperUser.apk from /system/app/ to /data/app (where you apps that have not been moved to the sd card are stored), reboot your Wildfire and see if it appears.
The browser if fine for me aswell thankfully :D

Yeah - my next port of call was shifting the directory of the apk. Failing that, I'll put an .apk file on the root directory of the SD card and insall it via Astro. I don't tend to do much mid week as we both work and, generally speaking, I spend most evenings busy so I'll feedback this weekend:D.
Same for this additional script. I never looked into this as she rarely has more than 15 user apps installed and I stripped the Rom of all bloatware anyway. I never bothered with partitioning the SD with ext3/4 - even though Dark Tremor to enable apps2SD+ is an alternative . Or maybe it isn't for the Wildfire? :thinking: Not to sure on that one.

Upvote 0
Yeah - my next port of call was shifting the directory of the apk. Failing that, I'll put an .apk file on the root directory of the SD card and insall it via Astro. I don't tend to do much mid week as we both work and, generally speaking, I spend most evenings busy so I'll feedback this weekend:D.
Same for this additional script. I never looked into this as she rarely has more than 15 user apps installed and I stripped the Rom of all bloatware anyway. I never bothered with partitioning the SD with ext3/4 - even though Dark Tremor to enable apps2SD+ is an alternative . Or maybe it isn't for the Wildfire? :thinking: Not to sure on that one.

Cool, hopefully it works for you :D
True say man, its been soo hectic recently for me

There is a Darktremor script for Wildfire but i didnt use it because CyanogenMod already comes with a App2SD script and the partitioning the SD card thing - using ROM Manager is to do it should be avoided, the other ways i read were really long so i just gave up

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones