recommendation?

Last Updated:

1. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am about to root my sisters eris and have a quick question. Which ROM do you recommend? I know I could research this on my own, but I'm an Evo owner and simply don't have a lot of time to spend researching this for her; so I'm calling on the collective intelligence of you eris rooter to help.

I was about to root and flash Kaosfroyo, but when I told my sister she wouldn't have her Sense control bar etc she panicked and got cold feet with the whole process. So I guess I need to keep a sense based ROM for her but I still need the performance boost so there isn't such a delay when/after she makes phone calls. That is her biggest compliant. Is xtrSense4.6 a good option or do you recommend something else? Possibly just stock with root and then setcpu to enhance performance?

Thanks for any input and sorry for the simple question that I know could be found with a little more time searching.

Advertisement
  2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

3. mdizzle99

great, thanks.

Any thoughts about Fresh? That's what I am running on my Evo and I love it, but it doesn't seem to get the same attention on the Eris.

4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I agree with Scary Alien - flash xtrSENSE. If there is something about it that she does not like, you can always flash another.

I thought about trying Fresh a few months ago but reading about it on xda didn't really impress me. I think the biggest issue was this note listed under bugs:

I'm just going to use something that works without the hassle. But, that's just my opinion.

5. scary alien

I've seen that Fresh ROM thread ([ROM] Fresh Rom 4.0 (Updating)[8/15/2010] - xda-developers) for the Eris, but it doesn't look like the dev (T.C.P.) has recently updated it (there's more buzz about Zach.xtr's ROMs nowadays). I haven't actually run xtrSense for longer than just to flash it for debugging, but lots and lots of folks have high praise for it. My day-to-day phone is my Droid X, but my Eris is my first love (smartphone-wise ;)).

By the way, if you do want to just flash the O/C patch after you root, here's a quick post detailing that:

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/135849-how-do-i-flash-oc-patch.html#post1253948

Cheers!

6. kaneda312

kaneda312 Member

I rooted my sisters Eris w kaosfroyo V37 and she loves it. They fixed the headphone issue in 37, which was the only thing I had found was glitchy about it in 36. I dont think you will go wrong with xtr either, just my 2 cents.

7. mdizzle99

Thanks for the input. If I can convince her to give me her phone again, I will probably flash xtrSense. Another Eris noob question, does that OC patch basically just set your setcpu setting for you by means of a kernel? I checked out the link and briefly read about it, but from what I read it sounds like it just changes the setcpu app.

I'm glad it worked for you kaneda...apparently your sister trusts you more than I do. My sister hasn't changed the appearance of the screen since she took it out of the box. We're very different phone users.

Anyway, thanks again fellas, saved me a ton of time.

8. scary alien

The overclock patch is actually a replacement kernel that will accept being tweaked to make it overclock (and underclock).

By the way, I don't think xtrSense comes overclocked out-of-the-box and I think I've read that its pretty fast even without overclocking. So, you might not even need to mess with setCPU if your sister finds that the ROM is snappy enough for her.

If you do overclock, you would still need the setCPU app (a buck I think from the Market or free if you are member of XDA (SetCPU for Root Users [2.0.3] It's over nine thousand 09/03/2010 - xda-developers)).

Some folks also use the OverClockWidget app (I have not) in lieu of setCPU.

Lastly, 710MHz is a good clock speed to stick to--higher speeds will probably not be noticable and could lead to "bad things" :eek:. Also, don't enable the "set on boot" setting when/if you overclock until you are sure you are stable at the selected speed.

Cheers!

9. mdizzle99

Thanks for the advice and insight on the SetCPU settings. I used to use it on my Evo but stopped once flashing kernels with HAVS (found it unnecessary). I'll give you guys an update later to let you know if she's happy. : )