• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Recommendations for a Froyo ROM

omniuni

Jul 24, 2010
Hi,

I've been using Bugless Beast v0.4 for a week or two now. It is what I installed when I first rooted my Droid. I love it, really, but I've had a few little things I've wondered about.

1. The memory manager seems a bit excessive, it keeps killing Meebo, even when it's in the foreground.

2. No Wifi Hotspot in the Settings.

3. Could it be faster if it were from Source?

So, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a ROM that was 2.2, stable, and fast. I don't care about whether it's from source, really, unless that makes it faster. I do like some of the tweaks I've read about in some of the from-source mods, but I am concerned about stability, such as working Wifi, or too-overclocked kernels.

I would love to hear recommendations to make my Droid as fast and stable as possible!

Thanks in advance!

I can answer 2 & 3.

2) the wifi tether will not show up in any current build of froyo. Only the USB tether has been included in froyo to this point, probably because carriers are developing a way to track tether data. Just google "wifi tether for root" and install that. It's hosted at code.google

3) JRummy kangerade is a nice source built rom. But my benchmark testing shows that bug less is faster. Try the 1.2 ulv kernel by chevyno1.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies! I did a little looking, and I decided not to try the kernel mentioned above, due to overclocking. I am happy with the Bugless kernel running at about 800mhz when plugged in, and I clock it down to about 250 when the screen is off.

John, I looked through the thread and I'm trying an application that was mentioned there. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm currently on BB 0.4, and don't plan on changing ROMs until 0.5 comes out. I'm not an obsessive flasher who has to always change ROMs so I don't mind waiting a little bit. Plus I don't have the time to reset all of my settings/homescreens/accounts when I flash a different ROM that has me wipe data.

If you don't mind waiting a while until 0.5 comes out, maybe it will be an improvement over what you have now (=

Upvote 0
I'm currently on BB 0.4, and don't plan on changing ROMs until 0.5 comes out. I'm not an obsessive flasher who has to always change ROMs so I don't mind waiting a little bit. Plus I don't have the time to reset all of my settings/homescreens/accounts when I flash a different ROM that has me wipe data.

If you don't mind waiting a while until 0.5 comes out, maybe it will be an improvement over what you have now (=

I completely agree with you. I do plan on keeping up to date whichever ROM I end up going with.

Do you know if such an update would make me re-install all my apps*? I have my ADW settings backed up, but I have enough apps now, that re-installing them would be a pain.

*I actually started a thread to ask about this...

Upvote 0
I completely agree with you. I do plan on keeping up to date whichever ROM I end up going with.

Do you know if such an update would make me re-install all my apps*? I have my ADW settings backed up, but I have enough apps now, that re-installing them would be a pain.

*I actually started a thread to ask about this...

Whenever you update a ROM (like going from v 0.3 to 0.4, 0.4 to 0.5, etc), as long as it's the same ROM (Bugless Beast Froyo in this case), you won't need to wipe data or anything so you can just install the update and keep everything the way it is. So no, you won't have to redo settings/apps/anything. But if you were to go to a different ROM like Succulent Desire (for example), you would have to redo those. It's not worth the trouble for me to keep redoing apps and such, I'll just wait for a BB update (=

Upvote 0
After a few glitches occured with Bugless, I decided to try a from-source ROM. I chose to go with Kangerade, default/stock theme. I did not lose my applications in the update, the process was smooth, and performance is wonderful. I really liked a lot of things about Bugless, but Kangerade actually seems less buggy to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones